95 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A new binary build available soon

gouessej
Administrator
Hey

Surprisingly, I noticed some activity in the legacy Ardor3D (Renanse claimed to stop its development 4 years ago as far as I remember) and I ported the few fixes and enhancements to JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation.

Moreover, I fixed a tiny bug in the PLY importer.

Java 1.8 will become the minimal version required to build JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation.

I'll provide a new binary build soon. I advise you to be very careful if you use BillboardNode (Runiter?) and/or the UI as some fixes might modify a bit the way they work.

I'd like to get rid of Guava but I'll have to switch to Guava 23-6 as a first step. I'll replace its predicates by those provided by Java 1.8.

Best regards
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A new binary build available soon

ThomasR
Hi Julien,

gouessej wrote
Hey

Surprisingly, I noticed some activity in the legacy Ardor3D (Renanse claimed to stop its development 4 years ago as far as I remember) and I ported the few fixes and enhancements to JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation.
Awesome, thank you!

gouessej wrote
I'd like to get rid of Guava but I'll have to switch to Guava 23-6 as a first step. I'll replace its predicates by those provided by Java 1.8.
Thats great, one less thing. How much code change at the application level moving to Java1.8 predicates?

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hey Thomas

You're welcome. I hope that I broke nothing during the process. I had to provide different implementations for a few things (view port dimension retrieval, ...).

It depends on your own code base. Expect some minor changes in the import clauses in input manager, for example if you use com.ardor3d.input.logical.TriggerConditions. I'll have to find some alternatives to dictionaries and immutable data types.

P.S: I've reopened the bug report about Guava. I'd like to remove this library from more sub-projects as a first step. The more I think about that, the more I find some solutions :) I'll probably ditch immutable lists, sets and maps :)

Warning Please note that I plan to remove the project from Github on the long term. At first, as I'm an honest man, this project is declared as a fork of the legacy Ardor3D, that's why several features are disabled (search in the code and commits, ...) and you can't find directly the project when searching it by using the internal search engine. Secondly, the term "Ardor3D" started to be used for a completely different purpose on the precious website whose domain name is "ardor3d.com". Thirdly, I don't want to give my pseudonym for the ESTA, I have to get rid of my Github account. You'll have to use the JogAmp GIT repository to get the updated source code here:
http://jogamp.org/git/?p=ardor3d.git;a=summary
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
gouessej wrote
You're welcome. I hope that I broke nothing during the process. I had to provide different implementations for a few things (view port dimension retrieval, ...).
I went ahead and cloned from jogamp.org. Nothing broken in my project, but I didn't run through all of the ardor
examples - I will test some of them.

gouessej wrote
It depends on your own code base. Expect some minor changes in the import clauses in input manager, for example if you use com.ardor3d.input.logical.TriggerConditions. I'll have to find some alternatives to dictionaries and immutable data types.
I do use the TriggerConditions following several of the examples to perform actions on mouse events.

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by gouessej
Hey

I dropped Guava's immutable lists, sets and maps. I'll have to improve the documentation later as a few methods explicitly used those Guava structures as return types. ardor3d-extras only use Guava's predicates, some projects use more complicated data types (multisets, multimaps, ...), maybe I'll have to use another library but then I'll choose something more modular, Caffeine would be a good candidate:
https://github.com/ben-manes/caffeine
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by gouessej
Hey

I've just learned that Github is going to be bought by Microsoft. Please rather use the Git repository on jogamp.org instead. I'm going to delete the one on Github in a few hours.

http://jogamp.org/git/?p=ardor3d.git;a=summary

Edit.: I'll have to wait for a few days as I have to update the user's guide before deleting the projects on Github. It takes a lot much time than I thought.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hey

I've found some solutions to get rid of all remaining classes of Guava:
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/issues/13#issuecomment-405088483

I prefer solving this issue before providing another build.
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Hi Julien,

Do as you see best, makes sense to this before the next official build. I'm sure I can deal with the changes.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Yes, there is only one public API that is really affected for now, PeekingIterator used in the input system.
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
There are a couple outstanding issues, I'm wondering if we could make a final determination before the next official release?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I will only provide another build but it won't be the release 1.0 yet, there are some missing features too.

My (uncommitted) changes require to rewrite some large unit tests, it will take some days or weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Okay, thanks for these improvements! Also, is the transition from github to jogamp complete?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
The source code is identical in both repositories, I have to update the user's guide, the images still come from Github. I don't want to show broken images, it's the only source of information about this engine. I'd like to get most of the recent fixes from the legacy Ardor3D before removing the projects on Github once for all.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

The transition from Github to JogAmp repositories isn't complete but I've almost fully removed all dependencies to Guava. Sorry for the delay. I spent some time in testing, I feel more confident about providing a new build.

I remind that Java 1.8 is the minimum supported version.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

Google Guava is no longer necessary to build and run JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/issues/13
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

I'm currently fixing the generation of the Java documentation, it should take a few days. When it's done, I'll upload the new JARs and the Java documentation.
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Thank you!

We'll switch over then.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You're welcome. It's a very tedious task. There are still lots of documentation warnings in ardor3d-core and in ardor3d-examples, a few documentation warnings in ardor3d-math and in ardor3d-ui.

Note that setLocationRelativeTo() has been replaced by centerOn() in ardor3d-ui.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hundreds of Java documentation warnings remain in ardor3d-core. I hope to remove them all next week.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by ThomasR
Hello

The new build is available and the Java documentation of the APIs has been updated.

Best regards