A professional/commercial scenegraph-based non-games JOGL?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A professional/commercial scenegraph-based non-games JOGL?

gmseed
Hi

I've been trawling through the web looking for a really good JOGL scenegraph based api and was wondering if anyone else has found an excellent one.

I came across lwjgl, but it doesn't have a scene graph and is geared towards the games sector, as are Ardor3D and JMonkey.

I looked at jReality but got the impression from the forum that it's not very active.

I got very excited about Coin3D's Java port until I discovered that Coin3D is being wound down.

VSG's is simply too expensive for persoanl use or small companies.

I see from the forum that OpenSceneGraph has a JNI interface but have struggled to find comprehensive documentation/examples/turorials on how to use it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Graham
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A professional/commercial scenegraph-based non-games JOGL?

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Ardor3D is used for professionnal scientifical applications, the NASA uses it and it supports JOGL (even JOGL 2.0 with my renderer). It is the best solution in my humble opinion.

JMonkeyEngine 3 does not support JOGL anymore and you need to use my own renderer if you give a try to JMonkeyEngine 2.

VSG OpenInventor is really crappy even though it contains some interesting features in geosciences. Its API has become more and more complicated to use and its Java API is a second class citizen compared to its C/C++ version. Even the C#/.NET binding is better maintained.

Coin3D is nice but even its documentation is proprietary. The aim is not to provide an open source product on the long term.

I don't understand why you're reluctant to choose Ardor3D whereas it is the scenegraph with the best support of JOGL. Best regards.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A professional/commercial scenegraph-based non-games JOGL?

gouessej
Administrator
I had forgotten to say that Xith3D (an alternative to Java3D) still uses JOGL but it is no more its default renderer and the activity of this project has become quite low. I contacted a former important contributor who left the project and he confirmed me that:
- there are some problems with the handling of mouse events in this engine since Java 1.6
- no port to JOGL 2.0 has been planned

As a conclusion, I can only advise Ardor3D and 3DzzD.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website