7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CRITICAL: Crash with the latest version of JOGL 2

gouessej
Administrator
Hi!

I have tried JOGL 2 webstart demos and locally, I get the same result, the application quickly crashes. I have not forgotten to call GLProfile.initSingleton() very early in a static initializer.

I get this in my Web Start log:

INIT GL IS: com.jogamp.opengl.impl.gl4.GL4bcImpl
Chosen GLCapabilities: GLCapabilities[Capabilities[Onscreen: true, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 0, Opaque: true], GL profile: GLProfile[GL2/GL2], PBuffer: false, DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16, Multisample: false, Num samples: 0, PBuffer-FloatingPointBuffers: false, PBuffer-RenderToTexture: false, PBuffer-RenderToTextureRectangle: false]
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.18.14

My graphics card is not compatible with OpenGL 4, therefore I don't understand why getDefault() returns GL4bcImpl. A RuntimeException is thown in GLProfile.initSingleton(). I'm investigating.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: CRITICAL: Crash with the latest version of JOGL 2

gouessej
Administrator
The RuntimeException contains the following message:
"Nativewindow X11 Error: Display 0x2aaaf8475000, Code 0x2"
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Bien
In reply to this post by gouessej
thats already known. Thats also the reason why the webstart bundles are not up2date.
http://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=411

On 09/15/2010 04:26 PM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
Hi!

I have tried JOGL 2 webstart demos and locally, I get the same result, the application quickly crashes. I have not forgotten to call GLProfile.initSingleton() very early in a static initializer.

I get this in my Web Start log:

INIT GL IS: com.jogamp.opengl.impl.gl4.GL4bcImpl
Chosen GLCapabilities: GLCapabilities[Capabilities[Onscreen: true, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 0, Opaque: true], GL profile: GLProfile[GL2/GL2], PBuffer: false, DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16, Multisample: false, Num samples: 0, PBuffer-FloatingPointBuffers: false, PBuffer-RenderToTexture: false, PBuffer-RenderToTextureRectangle: false]
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.18.14

My graphics card is not compatible with OpenGL 4, therefore I don't understand why getDefault() returns GL4bcImpl. A RuntimeException is thown in GLProfile.initSingleton(). I'm investigating.

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/CRITICAL-Crash-with-the-latest-version-of-JOGL-2-tp1480094p1480094.html
To start a new topic under jogamp, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.

-- 
http://michael-bien.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
When should I call GLProfile.initSingleton() then? Thank you for the quick answer. Do you know if Sven has found anything about the root cause?
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Bien
problem is you can't call it early enough in lifecycle containers (webstart/applets/NetBeans modules etc).
Thats why its a blocker for the JOGL 2 release.

The root cause is known as mentioned in the bug report (threading optimization).

On 09/15/2010 05:22 PM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
When should I call GLProfile.initSingleton() then? Thank you for the quick answer. Do you know if Sven has found anything about the root cause?

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/CRITICAL-Crash-with-the-latest-version-of-JOGL-2-tp1480094p1480489.html
To start a new topic under jogamp, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.

-- 
http://michael-bien.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Ok I had planned such problems might happen. The program that I use can work both inside an Eclipse RCP application and in standalone mode (inside a plain Swing/AWT frame).

However, if I find a workaround for Eclipse RCP, I will let you know.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Michael Bien
Michael Bien wrote
  problem is you can't call it early enough in lifecycle containers
(webstart/applets/NetBeans modules etc).
Thats why its a blocker for the JOGL 2 release.

The root cause is known as mentioned in the bug report (threading
optimization).
I have found a workaround, calling GLProfile.initSingleton() in a child class of AbstractUIPlugin works fine (except when I lost the focus) when using Eclipse RCP.