Caught GLException: AWT-EventQueue-0: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Caught GLException: AWT-EventQueue-0: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2

nyholku
Trying to run code in virgin Ubuntu 18.02 LTS installation under VirtualBox with OpenJDK 11.0.2, code that has always before run straight out of the box now gives me...  any pointers as to what could be the problem and or how to debug this would be highly appreciated.

One thing comes to mind: in between last successful run on Linux and today the jogamp libraries have been upgraded to the new (experimental JDK 11 compatible ones).

wbr Kusti

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: Caught GLException: AWT-EventQueue-0: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2 requested (OpenGL >= 3.1). Requested: GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.sw], current: 3.0 (Compat profile, compat[ES2], FBO, software) - 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLJPanel$OffscreenBackend.initialize(GLJPanel.java:1795)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLJPanel.initializeBackendImpl(GLJPanel.java:1377)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLJPanel.paintComponent(GLJPanel.java:549)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caught GLException: AWT-EventQueue-0: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2

Wade Walker
Administrator
Has JOGL ever worked in VirtualBox for you? I've tried it before, but it always seemed to have problems for me. I tested my new compile on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but on real hardware, and I only checked the case I'm using (the SWT canvas). You might try on native hardware, and either use my build (https://github.com/WadeWalker/com.jogamp.jogl) or build it yourself. If you do your own build, you can run the JUnit tests for AWT to see if those work properly -- those are usually a good way to debug.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caught GLException: AWT-EventQueue-0: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2

nyholku
Fair point. No sure if VirtualBox worked for me in the past, I the autumn I switched from Parallels Desktop to VirtualBox ... but this is easily checked, I just need dig up an old version (pre java11) and see if that works, fortunately I keep most binaries in archieve... I will report back. FYI I'm using your .jar files.
Reply | Threaded
|

nyholku
Old version of my software -> fail on VirtualBox
Noticed that 3D acceleration on VirtualBox virtual PC was not enabled -> so I enabled it
Now new and old versions seem to work, speed is un-usable but that is no matter as I only use the VirtualBox for building and verifying that the code starts and runs.

JOCL gives not available exception, which if fine for me atm.

Thanks for help, sorry about the noise, I should have been able to figure this out myself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
Good to know that it works on VirtualBox -- that'll save me a few steps next time I want to test something out :)