7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Confirm Hardware Tessellation?

linsnos
This post was updated on .
Hi!

I come from C++ and will try to do some java code for my thesis about subdivision.

I have searched the web for examples of jogl hardware tessellation examples without luck.
Can anyone of you confirm that it works?

I suppose the necessary parts would be a working OpenGL 4 context, loading, compiling and linking of tessellation control and evaluation shaders, besides the other stuff for a suitable profile.

Best regards
Tobias
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Confirm Hardware Tessellation?

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I'm almost sure DemoscenePassivist has some examples of tessellation. Have you looked at the examples in the GIT repository?
https://github.com/sgothel/jogl-demos/tree/master/src/demos

Edit.: there is at least a demonstration of polygon tessellation, look at Tess.java
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

linsnos
Thank you!

I built the demos earlier, but lost my focus on them when the shell reported syntax error while trying to execute java-run.sh:

./java-run.sh
./java-run.sh: 3: ./setenv-jogl.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Right now I'm taking baby steps, but if all goes well I will share my code later on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
In reply to this post by gouessej
>I'm almost sure DemoscenePassivist has some examples of tessellation.

Nope sorry, I haven't done anything tesselation related yet :(
Reply | Threaded
|

linsnos
In reply to this post by linsnos

Confirmed! :)

(If you're interested and wants an example, let me know. I have an unattractive, but working, code to share.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi5ke
I'd be very interested to see the example code - I am working on an app that is spending too much time tessellating, and hardware acceleration would be cool. Is the API the same, or is there a new set of calls?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

linsnos
The OpenGL API is extended with hardware tessellation, but you have to use a profile of 4.1+ (or maybe 4.0, I'm not sure. Look in the specification.)

Ok, here's the code. I've used source from various places as a base (with credits and links in the comments of MainListenerGL4.java. Sorry if I forgot anyone!), modified it a bit and then just added the tessellation.
It is an eclipse project and I added dependency to a lwjgl library, but that's not needed in the code.

Hope you can extract the essence of it anyway and sorry for the mess.

Tutorials_tessellation_forum.tar.gz