classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crash with AWT based windows

Job Zwiers
Hi,

After seeing that Jogl2 now has a stable release, I tried to run some webstart demos, and to run Justin's tutorials.
Unfortunately, both the demos and the "Creating a Window" tutorial crash with the message:

"Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working".  

(But a few demos at the bottom of the list,  using NEWT (I think), ran fine)

System: win 7 , 32bit Java 1.6.0_23, geforece 8800GTS, Nvidia driver 260.99 (WHQL).
(Some other similar system, but with older Java, older drivers, has no problems)

By playing around I found that inserting a short delay before  frame.setVisible(true); helped,
at least, sometimes, when the delay is not  too short. That suggested as timing/synchronization problem.

Running with SwingUtilities.invokeLater also helped.

Is this  a known bug?  Should it matter if I use "InvokeLater", or would it be just an accident that it helped in this case?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crash with AWT based windows

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
There was a bug with the "thread optimization" feature of NVidias 260.99 drivers. Don't know if it's completely fixed now but u should try a later release than the rc2. I myself tried the #266 build a couple of days ago and worked fine. Maybe u should try that too.

See this commit for further information about the (fixed?) bug (+ a possible workaround): https://github.com/sgothel/jogl/commit/5166d6a6b617ccb15c40fcb8d4eac2800527aa7b
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crash with AWT based windows

Job Zwiers
Thanks, that worked fine, both the Nvidia driver setting (Threaded Optization "Off") and the latest #266 Jogl release.

Still I wonder whether it is possible to safeguard your application from such driver "features"/bugs by using mechanisms
like SwingUtilities invokeLater or invokeAndWait?