10 messages Options
BIS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deprecated functionality previously accessible through GL2

BIS
This post was updated on .
I'm trying to port an existing app from V2.2.4 to V2.3.1. Deprecated functionality and constants previously available through the GL2 interface are no longer there - matrix functions, definitions of everything from GL_QUAD_STRIP to GL_DOUBLE.

(The port of deprecated functionality is a stop-gap measure pending a complete rewrite.)

How do I access this deprecated functionality in 2.3.1. Is it possible? Or should I simply leave the app using 2.2.4 until a new, forward-compatible version is written?

(What is the relationship between JOGL rev and GL rev? Does JOGL 2.3.1 correspond to a GL version of >= 3.1? Is that why I can no longer find the deprecated stuff? Do I need to acquire a compatibility context to use the deprecated stuff?)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deprecated functionality previously accessible through GL2

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I advise you to read this document.

Why don't you look at other GL subclasses? Matrix functions are still in GL2 which implements GLMatrixFunc, what is really missing? Can you be more precise? You should use the latest version and we'll help you to make your stuff work with it.

Edit.: I still see GL_QUAD_STRIP in GL2:
http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-next/javadoc/jogl/javadoc/com/jogamp/opengl/GL2.html#GL_QUAD_STRIP
I use it in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation, it relies on JOGL 2.3.1:
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/blob/master/ardor3d-jogl/src/main/java/com/ardor3d/renderer/jogl/JoglRenderer.java#L1600
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
BIS
Reply | Threaded
|

BIS
Hi, Julien -

Solved the build problem - I was importing the wrong class. I'd selected the wrong 'fix imports' option when switching from 2.2.4 to 2.3.1. Instead of importing com.jogamp.opengl.gl2, I had incorrectly imported and attempted to use com.jogamp.opengl.glprofile.gl2. (That was the pre-selected default, and I didn't catch the error.)

(So to answer your question, I was trying to use the GL2 interface, as before. I was just having trouble finding/importing the right packages.)

And I take it, then, after a quick perusal of the evolution document,  that there is no direct relation between the raw GL rev levels and JOGL rev levels?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
BIS wrote
And I take it, then, after a quick perusal of the evolution document,  that there is no direct relation between the raw GL rev levels and JOGL rev levels?
Yes, you're right but it doesn't prevent JOGL 2 from supporting OpenGL 4.
BIS
Reply | Threaded
|

BIS
Hey -

I understand.

Like I said earlier, I do intend to port to at least GL3.3 as soon as I get a chance. The usage of the deprecated stuff through the GL2 interface is just a stopgap till I have time to do a complete rewrite.

So it looks as if I have everything going except puzzling out the new web start intricacies.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I know what you mean, you have to set the manifest attributes "Permissions", "Codebase" and "Application-Name" and you need a "trusted" certificate. I gave up using Webstart, I prefer my native self-contained application bundles :)
BIS
Reply | Threaded
|

BIS
I've assembled all the documentation I can find on jnlp syntax, etc. I plan on trying a simple test case first - 1 jar, no 3rd party dependencies. If I can get that to work, I'll try adding a single 3rd party jar (which I'll sign with my cert), deploy that to the server and see if I can get that to work. And then I'll try signing and adding the JOGL stuff.

Don't be surprised if I'm back looking for help at some point in this process.

Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
If you ever get webstart to work it would be really helpful if you could write down the steps you take and post them here for others to learn. For every update of the JDK it seems to be getting harder and harder to get it working :-/
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by BIS
You have to sign each JAR mentioned in a JNLP file with the same "trusted" certificate and you can use JNLP extensions to use several certificates or point to the extension of a third party library. Using a fat JAR is less smart but it simplifies the deployment.

@jmaasing I understand your position but I don't even know if it's worth it. It's a nightmare, it gets broken at almost each update even you strictly follow Oracle's tutorials and the very latest security changes, especially when dealing with third party libraries. "Trusted-Library" is very difficult to use except if you stop supporting Java 1.7.

You can find some information here:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/security/manifest.html
BIS
Reply | Threaded
|

BIS
This post was updated on .
Yeah, they really have managed to ruin what had been a useful feature, haven't they? You get the impression that Oracle really doesn't give a crap about JWS, and maybe even about Java as a whole.

As it stands - I think the new security manifest stuff is set up and working - launching the jnlp file for the test app seems to work - the app and any associated resources (in this case, just a splash screen image) get downloaded with no security warnings (saw some until I moved the 'permissions' attribute to the top of the manifest file). Everything gets downloaded properly, and appears listed via the Java control panel applet, when viewing java temporary internet files. The app appears in the 'applications' list, and the splash screen appears, along with the app's jar, in the 'resources' list.

(@jmaasing - Sure, I can do that. Need to get it working first, though...    )

Update - limited success. I can download and run a simple demo web start app with no security warnings and no problems (looks as if I'm successfully signing the jar). Next step will be to try and include an associated library in a separate, signed jar. If I get that to work I can try setting up the whole JOGL jar hierarchy, signing everything, and seeing if it'll work.