GPU based Resolution Independent Curve Rendering

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPU based Resolution Independent Curve Rendering

Rejechted
Sorry to bump.  I'm confused, where can I find the libraries for this?  They're not in the version of JOGL 2.0 that I installed (Dated Mar. 2011)
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
Hi Rejechted,

I've confirmed that com.jogamp.graph.curve.opengl.TextRenderer is in jogl.all.jar in the latest dev build of JOGL (you can see all versions at http://jogamp.org/deployment/autobuilds/master/). As for your previous (now deleted) question, your edit on java-gaming seems to show that you found the answer
Reply | Threaded
|

Rejechted
Thanks for the reply; how safe are latest builds to use?  Obviously signed release builds will be more stable but in general what are the risks of using latest?
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
I'd say they're safe for individual developer use, but I wouldn't roll them out as part of a delivered product. You can see at https://jogamp.org/chuck/ which tests are failing for which builds. A dev build might have problems on a platform that's not in the regression cluster, or some minor feature might be temporarily broken, so it's usually a good idea to check the build server before using a particular dev build.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rejechted
Thanks much.  Another thing I was wondering: a long time ago I found a site that had details on what generations of graphics cards were compatible with various openGL versions for shader tools and such.  Any idea where I could find something like this so we don't have to necessarily test individual features against tons of different GPUs?
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
Sorry, I don't know of such a site. In my experience, the most difficult thing for compatibility is driver bugs -- the GL features, you can query from the driver, but if the driver itself is messed up, there's no way to know except to try it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rejechted
I see.  So is the compatibility restricted by what types of commands you are trying to make in GLSL, what type of GL object you are using in the program, etc?  We're working right now on converting our lighting system to use a vertex shader for dynamic shadows, but everything else still uses the fixed function pipeline.  I suppose when we want to move to some sort of release, we could have a graphics slider that would allow users to use older openGL features for things like that.  The irony is that doing shadows with GLSL is probably faster than doing them the old fashioned way.

We're not trying to develop a game that's going to require cutting edge technology by any means, we wouldn't be doing a simple 2D game if that were the case.  That's why compatibility is a big deal to us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In my experience, you have to be very careful about checking all GL extensions are present before use, querying the GLSL version, checking all return codes, et cetera to get good compatibility. And even then, you will find some graphics card/driver/OS combinations that just don't work correctly, so you'll have to put in special checks to disable/change your GL features to avoid those bugs