Issue with Java 3D under OpenJDK 7 / Mac OS X

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issue with Java 3D under OpenJDK 7 / Mac OS X

Traksewt
Thanks for the quick reply. Great news. That is making more sense, I see they have updated their download page from u12 to u40 recently.

thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|

hharrison
And does the u40 version actually fix the problem for you now?

Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

Traksewt
Hi, yeah even the u12 openJDK version had the fix. I just tried the u40 and it also works fine.

So it has a timetable for getting in the main java release.

One thing interesting is that I installed the JRE & JDK u40 and they did NOT put those annoying old Java3D jars/libs in /System/Library/Java/Extensions ! So hopefully they have taken this out now, so we don't have to manually delete it ourselves.

One thing I haven't tested, is if you already have these old libs, if you upgrade, does it delete the old ones.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I discourage you to use the mechanism of extensions. It would be interesting to find a way of modifying the class loader so that it uses the new JARs and ignore the "old" JARs.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

InteractiveMesh
In reply to this post by Traksewt
Sun/Oracle never included Java 3D in their JDK/JRE distributions. It is Apple who still installs an outdated Java 3D release into /System/Library/Java/Extensions every time Apple's JDK 1.6 is updated.

Unfortunately, the latest JOGL build isn't yet adapted according to the x/y-position bug fix in 7u40 (http://forum.jogamp.org/Mac-OS-X-10-7-Oracle-JRE-7-Swing-integration-issues-td4027780.html#a4029292). In consequence, Sweet Home 3D doesn't position the Canvas3D correctly on 7u40 and 8ea. The Canvas3D remains permanently at the lower left corner.

This issue doesn't occur when the Canvas3D fills the entire window.

August
Reply | Threaded
|

Traksewt
Well that is one good thing of Apple bailing on shipping Java. I am definitely not a fan of the extensions folder solution.

Our app, positions correctly until you try and use the JSlider and then the positions go wrong. If you adjust the overall window size, it fixes itself again. I tried to make a unit test just on jogl, but the java3d code is so deep, that making a unit test that replicates java3d isn't trivial.

Reply | Threaded
|

Manu
In reply to this post by InteractiveMesh
InteractiveMesh wrote
Unfortunately, the latest JOGL build isn't yet adapted according to the x/y-position bug fix in 7u40 (http://forum.jogamp.org/Mac-OS-X-10-7-Oracle-JRE-7-Swing-integration-issues-td4027780.html#a4029292). In consequence, Sweet Home 3D doesn't position the Canvas3D correctly on 7u40 and 8ea. The Canvas3D remains permanently at the lower left corner.
Do you know if a request has been filed to fix this x/y-position bug? If no, is anyone with enough technical background could fill this request, please?
It would be nice if I could use Canvas3D instances again, instead of JCanvas3D instances which are less efficient.

Thanks
Emmanuel Puybaret