classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

JInput status.

Pixelapp
I tried to build JInput even though there were no instructions.

If someone is able to build JInput under Windows please post the instructions. Until that happens I will no longer support JInput. I prefer making a controller api from scratch.

It makes no sense to me to build JInput when there are no  instructions on how to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: JInput status.

Endolf
It really isn't that hard, if you can't compile JInput you'll struggle to create and implement a cross platform API to do exactly what JInput already does.

You'll need to compile JInput or anything you create on all the platforms you want to support, not just windows as it has native components on all of them.

JInput is built on the following platforms each night, so I know the build works fine.

Windows 32 bit
Windows 64 bit
Linux 32 bit (x86)
Linux 64 bit (amd64)
OSX (multi platform build including PPC, 32bit and 64 bit intel)

You could always try posting on the JInput forums at javagaming.org if you are really struggling to run the ant builds.

Endolf
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: JInput status.

Pixelapp
This post was updated on .
Dear Endolf: I hope I don't sound annoying. I won't give any code a try that doesn't have a current tutorial attached to it. I can not afford to be hanging around for answers in forums. Also, as I said I'm really fluent with JOGL so cross platform API are already easy for me. Moreover, if I see JInput with proper documentation I might give it another try.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Endolf
In answer to your email, yes, you will need to build each jar separately. Each platform jar has native components, we can't build OSX native .jnilib bits on windows etc. This isn't a JInput thing, this is an issue on any cross platform library that includes native components.

You'll also need to make sure the version of CGLIB on linux where you are compiling is the oldest version you want to support your deployed app, or modify the build to statically link, which is horrible, that's not a JInput thing, that's a compiling on linux thing.

Endolf
Reply | Threaded
|  

Pixelapp
I'm able to build the /windows folder.

What happens when I build the /wintab folder. What are those wintab thingys for??
Reply | Threaded
|  

Endolf
Wintab is an API for tablet (as in artist, not small laptop) input, currently it's win32 only.

You should be running the top level ant file, it will work out what else needs running from the current platform.

From where you check JInput out too you should have a build.xml a readme text file, a couple of poms and some other files and the plugins directory, run ant at that level, not in the plugins. This will compile a JInput jar and a natives jar for the platform you are compiling on.

The target you probably want is dist, so run 'ant dist' in that directory.

Like I mentioned, you will need the platform SDK from MS and directx to build on windows, and on win32 you will need wintab too. There are environment variables that the build uses to know where those are

DXSDK_DIR
WindowsSdkDir
WINTAB_DIR

You will also need to run the vcvars batch file in the window you are running the compilation in to setup the VC variables.

Endolf
Reply | Threaded
|  

Pixelapp
For the love of Earth. I AM ABLE TO BUILD JINPUT!  Yeesssss!!!

So if the Jars I get are the JIpunt.jar and the .dll s needed to run JInput on windows, it means I'm building JInput already right? Because my build gets stuck on the wintab folder, all the other things get built.

Moreover, what if I don't build the /wintab folder does that affect anything? What if I erase that /wintab folder part? Any pros and cons?
Reply | Threaded
|  

Endolf
We got there in the end :)

Wintab will automatically get built on win32, if you delete the folder the build will fail unless you edit the build.xml too. It shouldn't be hard to get wintab working on win32.

Endolf
Reply | Threaded
|  

Pixelapp
Just to let you know.

When I eliminate the /wintab folder and clean the build.xml file from wintab set ups, I get the followin items:

jinput.jar
jinput-dx8.dll
jinput-raw.dll

which after testing it, its every element for the windows platform.

Also, I'm able to use the controller just perfect.  

Reply | Threaded
|  

Sven Gothel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Endolf
On 01/03/2013 09:37 AM, Endolf [via jogamp] wrote:
> We got there in the end :)
>

Thank you Endolf.

I have to copy the build setup soon for our build jenkins nodes
and it is great to know you are helping.

~Sven

signature.asc (909 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|  

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Endolf
Endolf wrote
It really isn't that hard, if you can't compile JInput you'll struggle to create and implement a cross platform API to do exactly what JInput already does.
I agree with you. I don't encourage effort duplication and I succeeded in building JInput several times under GNU Linux. We have some efforts to do in order to integrate JInput in JogAmp and I really think creating another controller API from scratch would be a pure waste of time.