215 messages Options
1 ... 4567891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JOGL 2 support for Ardor3D, JMonkeyEngine 3, jzy3d and NiftyGUI

gouessej
Administrator
I've just fixed the new renderer, it works correctly. I just get a NullPointerException when exiting but it shouldn't happen with NEWT instead of AWT.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
The NullPointerException only occurs with JoglNewtCanvas, probably not with JoglNewtDisplay. JoglNewtCanvas uses NewtCanvasAWT.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
No the NullPointerException only occurred with JoglNewtDisplay, I've just fixed it.

I hope that I won't have to work on JMonkeyEngine 3 and LibGDX for some weeks as I really want to release JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation before the end of the year.

Edit.: Mr.Marbles, do you have anything to show with JMonkeyEngine 3? It would be nice if we could show something not easily doable with the other backends, for example by using the media player.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I'm currently updating JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation. I thank Sven for the new maven build. Please use it with the build 2.3.2-rc-20150926.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr.Marbles
In reply to this post by gouessej
Thanks for the support Julien. The only feature I have to show right now for JOGL backend in JME 3 is the code I posted to the JME forum for spawning multiple frames having their own contexts. For me this was the deal breaker in LWJGL.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You're welcome. It's better than nothing :)

Somebody complained that the demo doesn't quit cleanly when closing the window (not by pressing ESC) but my mouse cursor isn't visible, I don't get how to reproduce this bug :s
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

The HiDPI support is disabled by default in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation for now, this change was pushed into the Git repository yesterday. I will update the binaries soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I've updated the binaries and the documentation of JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation. I'll probably work a bit on some new importers (STL, PLY, ...) as soon as possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
If you want to rotate or move your 3D models like in a typical viewer, you should look at this example using JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation:
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/blob/master/ardor3d-examples/src/main/java/com/ardor3d/example/interact/InteractExample.java
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I will update JMonkeyEngine and LibGDX so that they both use JOGL 2.3.2. As far as I know, JMonkeyEngine 3 still uses JOGL 2.3.1.

I plan to modify the management of the display settings in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation. It will no longer expect the developer to pass the size of the window when using the fullscreen mode, it will use the current size of the primary monitor if the passed dimensions (width, height) are less than or equal to zero. It will work similarly for the refresh rate; if the provided refresh rate isn't greater than zero, it will use the current refresh rate instead of picking the highest available refresh rate. Maybe I'll add a constant into DisplaySettings to use as an hint to indicate that you'd like to pick the highest available refresh rate. I'll do the same for the color depth. I'll support the screen rotation too.
The main aim is to reduce the need of writing a lot of boilerplate code to use the fullscreen mode but I don't know how to support multiple monitors in fullscreen mode yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas
Hi,

I created I simplified (at least I think that) non-Netbeans platform example of the opening and closing tab example ( https://github.com/AndiMb/Ardor3DTabbedPane ). I have two problems.

1. Sometime, when adding a tab, the teapot is shown without any light an just white.
2. Sometime the canvas size is smaller than the JPanel size. After a manual resizing it works.

Are there any hints for me?

Andreas
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Do you reproduce your problem with JoglAwtCanvas and JoglNewtAwtCanvas?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Andreas
You should make a test with a plain AWT canvas (without JOGL). I'd like to know whether the problem comes from Swing and/or AWT.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas
Hi,

both do not happen with a plain AWT canvas and the JoglAwtCanvas.

Both do happen with the JoglSwingCanvas and JoglNewtAwtCanvas.

Sizing Problem

Light Problem

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Then, you can use JoglAwtCanvas in the meantime. I have to implement something similar in JFPSM soon, I will have to make it work with the other canvases anyway.

My OpenGL driver is buggy, the light has never worked correctly :s It doesn't help to reproduce the bugs on lighting. Maybe you can disable the lights.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I modified JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation yesterday. The size hint (i.e use the current screen size when (0,0) is passed) is fully working, the brand new rotation setting isn't correctly taken into account for the moment (it should be taken into account very early before the screen size as it has an impact on its choice). The code is very robust, it doesn't crash if some settings are too much restrictive. There is a temporary lack of documentation. There is a real need of clarification between the desired or requested display settings and the chosen display settings as the former ones are used further in the code whereas they might differ from the latter ones :s The support of multiple monitor devices is still highly experimental and it isn't yet possible to modify the display settings after having created the JoglNewtWindow except by writing a lot of JOGL NEWT code by yourself but I will solve this problem soon... by moving numerous lines of code from TUER to JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation :) Using a clean implementation helped me to reduce the startup time.

These changes concern only JoglNewtWindow for now, I will make something similar for JoglAwtWindow if and only if there is a real need expressed by some developers, I'm reluctant to do it now as the AWT fullscreen mode is still half broken under GNU Linux.

I'll try a bug report to clarify what has been done and what will be done soon.

On the other hand, I'll improve the behavior during the resize and I'll probably create an example using a CardLayout and another one using a JTabbedPane. The latter will be used to solve Andreas' problem. I just hope that the real bug is in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation rather than in JOGL.

JMonkeyEngine and LibGDX will be updated later. I'm not sure that I will port the changes above to those engines as I'm not sure that their respective target audiences are interested in using several monitors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas
Hi,

thanks Julien!!

I tried to add some kind of simple mouse control (I am used to) to my tabbed example (https://github.com/AndiMb/Ardor3DTabbedPane). But I'm not able to use the right mouse button. Am I missing something?

Andreas
Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas
Hi, me again,

what the mouse control does is
- a rotation of the target when left button down and mouse dragged,
- zoom/scale of the target when middle button down and mouse dragged or mouse wheel,
- a translation of the target when right button down and mouse dragged.

Andreas
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You should look at the source code of MouseMoveCondition as it shows that your test "mouse.getDx() != 0 || mouse.getDy() != 0" is useless as the trigger will only work when the mouse is moved AND the right mouse button is down. The source code of JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation is available...
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I've just fixed a bug in the canvas renderer, the unrotated width and height were used instead of the rotated ones. Now, you can rotate your primary monitor from the very beginning. I'm going to remove the other limitations soon :)

By the way, NEWT is great, it's the best toolkit I've ever used.
1 ... 4567891011