Java3D Canvas tiny and in corner of frame

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Java3D Canvas tiny and in corner of frame

greg
I was trying some of my examples from Java3D.org with new versions of Java and Java 3D (1.6).

Objects that were previously in the middle of the frame have moved to the bottom left corner.

e.g. http://www.java3d.org/samples.html the pyramid used to appear front and centre like in the screenshot, but it has now been sent to the bottom left.

Anyone else experienced this, is it because of the new Java 3D or because my laptop has a 4K screen?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Java3D Canvas tiny and in corner of frame

gouessej
Administrator
Hey

I suspect it has something to do with HiDPI. Which version of Java do you use? Which operating system do you use?

You can use "-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false" to disable HiDPI support.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Brown
I made a PR to fix this:

https://github.com/hharrison/java3d-core/pull/24

I hope you find it useful.
It works with my fork of sweethome3d (https://github.com/bigianb/refactoredHome3D) but I've not tested it any further as getting the 3D window of sh3d to work on my laptop was the sole motivator of this.

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

Thank you very much for your contribution. Please can you make a clean pull request without import changes into the repository used for Java3D 1.7.0? Phil would be very happy to review and accept your change :)

https://github.com/philjord/java3d-core

Java3D 1.7.0 already supports Maven and uses Java 1.7. If you really want to use Java 1.8, just speak about it to Phil, it's not up to me to decide.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Brown
I cleaned up the PR on the 1.6 repo. I'm not sure how to raise a PR against Phil's repo though.
Why? well github does not let me fork Phil's 1.7 repo because I already have a Java3D fork (the 1.6 hharrison one).

I guess I could make a 1.7 branch in my repo ... pull Phil's master into there, make the changes and set a PR from that branch. I won't have time to try that for a while though. Given that the change is only 4 lines of code, maybe you can just cherry pick that change over?

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
It's just a matter of intellectual property, I would feel more comfortable if you did it. Take your time, there is no hurry.

By the way, Phil's repository contains some other fixes. Despite the changes of package naming, I advise you to use it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Brown
I’ll take a look later this week then.
Which branch should I use in phils repo? Looks like there is master and a 1.7-pre branch. Both are different and both ahead of the hharrison master.

Also are there any plans to push up a 1.7 latest to maven central?

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I advise you to use the "dev1.7.0" branch.

There are plans to push the latest beta to our own Maven repository but there are some problems on our server now :s Our bug tracker is still not working.
Reply | Threaded
|

philjord
Ian,
Thanks for this change it looks really clean and simple.

As Julien states is preferred if your contribution come from you. But if it's complicated to coordinate 2 forks of an upstream repo and you are ok with it'll I'll just cherry pick the changes into the 1.7 repo.

As Julien says 1.7.0 is the best branch to pull as it has the most fixes and improvements in it.

Java3D 1.7 running on jogl 2.3.2 works with Jre 1.8 and java 10 for all the examples, though java 10 outputs a warning message about reflection.

Currently my installed version of java 9 does not work, but that may be because I used a pre-release, so I'll need to look into that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Brown
I think I’ve got it figured out - I’ve added your repo as an extra remote to mine and fetched your dev1.7.0 branch. I built your dev branch yesterday and have changed the paths in my SweetHome3D fork to build against it.
Now I just need to apply the changes to java3d core, test it and raise a PR.

Hopefully I’ll find some time this evening to do that.

Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

Ian Brown
Here you go:
https://github.com/philjord/java3d-core/pull/1

It would be great if you could push up a build of 1.7.0 to maven central .... even if its a SNAPSHOT release.

Ian