for (int i = 0; i < c.length; i++) {
            System.out.println("gc:" + i + ":" + c[i]);
        }
        GraphicsConfiguration gc  = c[0];
        Canvas3D c3d = new Canvas3D(gc);
        System.out.println("done");
needs more than jogamp-fat.jar
Don't you need
vecmath.jar j3dutils.jar j3dcore.jar, at the very least?
If I have the correct versions of these things, what I get appears below.
Thanks!
 - Doug
 public static void main(String[] args) {
        testGc();
    }

private static void testGc() {
        final GraphicsEnvironment
                localGraphicsEnvironment
                = getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
        final GraphicsDevice
                defaultScreenDevice
                = localGraphicsEnvironment.getDefaultScreenDevice();
        GraphicsConfiguration c[] = defaultScreenDevice
                .getConfigurations();
        }
    }
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-9.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=62831:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dcore.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dutils.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/vecmath.jar com.docjava.Main
gc:0:CGLGraphicsConfig[dev=1317015680,pixfmt=0]
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline (file:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dcore.jar) to method sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContext()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Canvas3D: GraphicsConfiguration is not compatible with Canvas3D
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.checkForValidGraphicsConfig(Canvas3D.java:945)
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.<init>(Canvas3D.java:986)
        at com.docjava.Main.testGc(Main.java:29)
        at com.docjava.Main.main(Main.java:13)

An inability to construct a Canvas3D is a bit of a show stopper, isn't it?
Thanks!
 - D
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jogl/Jogamp on Java 9 no compatible graphics context

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Strictly follow the instructions of the Java3D user's guide I wrote:
https://gouessej.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/java-3d-est-de-retour-java-3d-is-back/
It mentions the necessary JARs. jogamp-fat.jar contains the necessary JARs for JOGL, JOCL, JOAL and GlueGen. Yes, you need to use the JARs of Java3D too, they are mentioned here:
https://gouessej.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/java-3d-est-de-retour-java-3d-is-back/#commandline

Your source code works with Java 1.8. The JogAmp community isn't responsible for the regressions within AWT in Java 1.9 under OS X. You can still use Java 1.8 in the meantime.

Edit.: It would be interesting to know what happens here on your machine:
https://github.com/gouessej/java3d-core/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jogamp/java3d/JoglPipeline.java#L8500

Edit.: What happens when you call "new Canvas3D(null)"?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jogl/Jogamp on Java 8 no compatible graphics context

Douglas Lyon
In reply to this post by gouessej
I found, through experiment, that jdk1.8.152 has the same problem as jdk1.9. This problem is not easy for me to solve. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks!
 - Doug
        testGc();
    }

private static void testGc() {
        final GraphicsEnvironment
                localGraphicsEnvironment
                = getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
        final GraphicsDevice
                defaultScreenDevice
                = localGraphicsEnvironment.getDefaultScreenDevice();
        GraphicsConfiguration c[] = defaultScreenDevice
                .getConfigurations();
        }
    }
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=59078:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/deploy.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/cldrdata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jaccess.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunec.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/zipfs.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/javaws.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jce.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfr.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfxswt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/management-agent.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/plugin.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/resources.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/ant-javafx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/javafx-mx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jconsole.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/packager.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/sa-jdi.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/tools.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dcore.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dutils.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/vecmath.jar com.docjava.Main
gc:0:CGLGraphicsConfig[dev=1317015680,pixfmt=0]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Canvas3D: GraphicsConfiguration is not compatible with Canvas3D
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.checkForValidGraphicsConfig(Canvas3D.java:984)
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.<init>(Canvas3D.java:1025)
        at com.docjava.Main.testGc(Main.java:35)
        at com.docjava.Main.main(Main.java:19)

Process finished with exit code 1
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jogl/Jogamp on Java 8 can't instance Canvas3D

Douglas Lyon
Thanks for your suggesting on Canvas3D. I have tried the following code:
     public static void testCanvas3D() {
        Canvas3D c3d = new Canvas3D(null);
    }

testCanvas3D();
    }

The output is:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=59943:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/deploy.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/cldrdata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jaccess.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunec.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/zipfs.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/javaws.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jce.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfr.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfxswt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/management-agent.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/plugin.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/resources.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/ant-javafx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/javafx-mx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jconsole.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/packager.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/sa-jdi.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/tools.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dcore.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/j3dutils.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/vecmath.jar com.docjava.Main
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException: Canvas3D: null GraphicsConfiguration
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.checkForValidGraphicsConfig(Canvas3D.java:982)
        at com.docjava.Main.testCanvas3D(Main.java:19)
        at com.docjava.Main.main(Main.java:23)

I have never attempted to make a new instance of Canvas3D with a null GraphicsConfiguration, before. Not sure what to expect.
Thanks!
 - Doug
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You have to use the property "allowNullGraphicsConfig" to make it work. Sorry, I forgot that information.

Edit.: -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig

By the way, you're still not using Java3D 1.6.0 Final according to your stack trace. When I look at the source code, one line of your latest stack trace is on a comment in Java3D 1.6.0 Final, it's not possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Douglas Lyon
In order to remove any worries about the version of the jar file that I am using, I am now building from source code everything except the jogamp-fat.jar.
Also, I have added the -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig , as suggested (great idea!).
The message "Java 3D: null graphics configs disabled" indicated that things are seeing the new flag, but, sadly, there is no joy in Mudville :(

Thank you for your kind assistance.
Regards,
 - Doug
 public static void testCanvas3D() {
        //-Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig
        // in order to make the below code work.
        Canvas3D c3d = new Canvas3D(null);
    }

testCanvas3D();
    }

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=60718:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/deploy.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/cldrdata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jaccess.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunec.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/zipfs.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/javaws.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jce.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfr.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfxswt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/management-agent.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/plugin.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/resources.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/ant-javafx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/javafx-mx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jconsole.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/packager.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/sa-jdi.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/tools.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar com.docjava.Main
Java 3D: null graphics configs disabled
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException: Canvas3D: null GraphicsConfiguration
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.checkForValidGraphicsConfig(Canvas3D.java:982)
        at com.docjava.Main.testCanvas3D(Main.java:19)
        at com.docjava.Main.main(Main.java:23)

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Which source code do you use?

The line 982 is in a comment in Java3D 1.6.0-final:
https://github.com/hharrison/java3d-core/blob/master/src/javax/media/j3d/Canvas3D.java#L982

I advise you to put a debug point on this line:
https://github.com/gouessej/java3d-core/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jogamp/java3d/JoglPipeline.java#L8500

If Canvas3D.graphicsConfigTable remains empty, all graphics configurations will be considered invalid.

Edit.: Please add -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig=true.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jogl/Jogamp on Java 8 building from source

Douglas Lyon
I am using:
https://gouessej.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/java-3d-est-de-retour-java-3d-is-back/#commandline
to guide me to:
git clone https://github.com/hharrison/java3d-core.git j3d-core
git clone https://github.com/hharrison/java3d-utils.git j3d-utils
git clone https://github.com/hharrison/vecmath.git vecmath
mkdir jogl-v2.3.2
wget http://jogamp.org/deployment/v2.3.2/fat/jogamp-fat.jar -P jogl-v2.3.2

The jogamp-fat.jar is used now, in conjunction with the above j3d-core, j3d-utils and vecmath source codes.
I tried putting in:
     synchronized (Canvas3D.graphicsConfigTable) {
            System.out.println("Canvas3D.graphicsConfigTable.put");
            Canvas3D.graphicsConfigTable.put(config, gcInf0);
          }
but the print statement is never executed.
Am I using the correct version of the source code and the correct version of the jogl?
Thanks!
 - Doug
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You seem to be using the correct version of JOGL and Java3D except if you have forgotten to remove any version of Java3D installed as an extension, this is explained in my tutorial.

Do you use "-Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig=true"?

I advise you to use the debug mode in your favourite IDE and to put a debug point into JoglPipeline.getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfigTemplate3D,GraphicsConfiguration[]) and into Canvas3D.checkForValidGraphicsConfig(GraphicsConfiguration,boolean).

Moreover, I advise you to use the reflection API to call the private static method Canvas3D.defaultGraphicsConfiguration(). If it throws an exception or if it returns null, it will explain why all this doesn't work. Either GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice() is null in your configuration or GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().
getDefaultScreenDevice().getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfigTemplate) returns null. A dirty workaround would consist in filling the table manually in case of failure.

Edit.: GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice() isn't null according to your previous tests. Maybe GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice().getBestConfiguration(new GraphicsConfigTemplate3D()) is null. I'm not sure that "pixfmt=0" is a good piece of news. What happens with Java 1.8 update < 152 (i.e before the regression)?
Reply | Threaded
|

Douglas Lyon
Thank you for your prompt response.
You may see: "-Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig" in the jvm invocation,
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig
 Is that right?
You write:
"Either GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice() is null in your configuration or GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().
getDefaultScreenDevice().getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfigTemplate) returns null"

Interestingly, neither assertion is bearing fruit. I shall attempt to print the references prior to the death of jvm so that you may see what I am seeing. First, the code:
        GraphicsEnvironment
                localGraphicsEnvironment
                = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
        GraphicsDevice gd=localGraphicsEnvironment
                           .getDefaultScreenDevice();
        System.out.println
                ("GraphicsDevice" +
                 ":"+gd);
        GraphicsConfigTemplate3D
                template =  new GraphicsConfigTemplate3D();
//is this an OK way to create a template? Should I turn off some antialiasing features?
//or assert off-screen rendering?
        System.out.println
                ("template" +
                 ":"+template);
        //Here is where we kill the jvm:
        gd.getBestConfiguration(template);
    }
I hope I got the template code right....now for the output:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=53454:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/deploy.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/cldrdata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jaccess.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunec.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/zipfs.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/javaws.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jce.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfr.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfxswt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/management-agent.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/plugin.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/resources.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/ant-javafx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/javafx-mx.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jconsole.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/packager.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/sa-jdi.jar:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/tools.jar:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar com.docjava.Main
GraphicsDevice:sun.awt.CGraphicsDevice@4783da3f
template:redSize : 2, greenSize : 2, blueSize : 2, depthSize : 16, doubleBuffer : REQUIRED, sceneAntialiasing : UNNECESSARY, stereo : UNNECESSARY
Java 3D: null graphics configs disabled
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to initialize JAWT
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.JAWT$1.run(JAWT.java:100)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.JAWT.getJAWT(JAWT.java:95)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.macosx.MacOSXOnscreenGLDrawable.lockSurface(MacOSXOnscreenGLDrawable.java:144)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.macosx.MacOSXOnscreenGLContext.makeCurrentImpl(MacOSXOnscreenGLContext.java:57)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:134)
        at javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline$QueryCanvas.doQuery(JoglPipeline.java:9049)
        at javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline.getBestConfiguration(JoglPipeline.java:8797)
        at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:514)
        at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:275)

DefaultRenderingErrorListener.errorOccurred:
GRAPHICS_CONFIG_ERROR: Renderer: Error in GraphicsConfigTemplate3D.getBestConfiguration()
graphicsDevice = sun.awt.CGraphicsDevice@4783da3f

Is this some sort of awt error?
Sorry I am feeling really stuck here.

Thank you for your help!
Regards,
 - Doug

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jogl/Jogamp on Java 9 building from source

Douglas Lyon
I put a main method to test canvas3d, as I think this is the focus of all the attention;
        GraphicsConfiguration gc= Canvas3D
                .defaultGraphicsConfiguration();
        System.out.println("GraphicsConfiguration:"+gc);
    }
Using jdk9, just to make sure there is no stray jars floating around, the jvm dies pretty quick. I turned VERBOSE=true to get a few more bits of information;

Can the pipeline be done in software? I am thinking it would be good to get something to work, even if slowly.

Thanks!
 - Doug

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-9.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -javaagent:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/lib/idea_rt.jar=53759:/Applications/idea.app/Contents/bin -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/jars/jogamp-fat.jar javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D
3D @VERSION_BASE@-@VERSION_SUFFIX@-experimental @BUILDTIME_VERBOSE@

Initializing 3D runtime system:
    version = @VERSION_BASE@-@VERSION_SUFFIX@-experimental @BUILDTIME_VERBOSE@
    vendor = @IMPL_VENDOR@ & docjava.com
    specification.version = 1.6
    specification.vendor = @SPEC_VENDOR@

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline (file:/Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/out/production/testHello/) to method sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContext()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
JoglPipeline.getMaximumLights()
3D system initialized
    rendering pipeline = JOGL

JoglPipeline.getBestConfiguration()
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000012e14d0cc, pid=33972, tid=775
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (9.0+11) (build 9.0.1+11)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (9.0.1+11, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, bsd-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libosxapp.dylib+0x20cc]  -[NSApplicationAWT sendEvent:]+0x179
#
# No core dump will be written. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /Users/lyon/current/java/testHello/hs_err_pid33972.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

Process finished with exit code 134 (interrupted by signal 6: SIGABRT)
Reply | Threaded
|

Checking prior versions

Douglas Lyon
I have a short script for searching for prior java3d versions;
echo $CLASSPATH
echo ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/
ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/
echo ls /Library/Java/Extensions/
ls /Library/Java/Extensions/
echo ls /System/Library/Java/Extensions/
ls /System/Library/Java/Extensions/
echo ls /System/Library/Frameworks/
ls /System/Library/Frameworks/

The output of which appears below. Not sure if this is all the possible places, for a mac, but perhaps it is close.
Thanks!
 - Doug

ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ext/
cldrdata.jar localedata.jar sunjce_provider.jar
dnsns.jar meta-index sunpkcs11.jar
jaccess.jar nashorn.jar zipfs.jar
jfxrt.jar sunec.jar
ls /Library/Java/Extensions/
ls /System/Library/Java/Extensions/
MRJToolkit.jar
ls /System/Library/Frameworks/
AGL.framework ImageCaptureCore.framework
AVFoundation.framework ImageIO.framework
AVKit.framework InputMethodKit.framework
Accelerate.framework InstallerPlugins.framework
Accounts.framework InstantMessage.framework
AddressBook.framework Intents.framework
AppKit.framework JavaFrameEmbedding.framework
AppKitScripting.framework JavaScriptCore.framework
AppleScriptKit.framework JavaVM.framework
AppleScriptObjC.framework Kerberos.framework
ApplicationServices.framework Kernel.framework
AudioToolbox.framework LDAP.framework
AudioUnit.framework LatentSemanticMapping.framework
AudioVideoBridging.framework LocalAuthentication.framework
Automator.framework MapKit.framework
CFNetwork.framework MediaAccessibility.framework
CalendarStore.framework MediaLibrary.framework
Carbon.framework MediaPlayer.framework
CloudKit.framework MediaToolbox.framework
Cocoa.framework Message.framework
Collaboration.framework Metal.framework
Contacts.framework MetalKit.framework
ContactsUI.framework ModelIO.framework
CoreAudio.framework MultipeerConnectivity.framework
CoreAudioKit.framework NetFS.framework
CoreBluetooth.framework NetworkExtension.framework
CoreData.framework NotificationCenter.framework
CoreDisplay.framework OSAKit.framework
CoreFoundation.framework OpenAL.framework
CoreGraphics.framework OpenCL.framework
CoreImage.framework OpenDirectory.framework
CoreLocation.framework OpenGL.framework
CoreMIDI.framework PCSC.framework
CoreMIDIServer.framework Photos.framework
CoreMedia.framework PhotosUI.framework
CoreMediaIO.framework PreferencePanes.framework
CoreServices.framework PubSub.framework
CoreTelephony.framework Python.framework
CoreText.framework QTKit.framework
CoreVideo.framework Quartz.framework
CoreWLAN.framework QuartzCore.framework
CryptoTokenKit.framework QuickLook.framework
DVComponentGlue.framework QuickTime.framework
DVDPlayback.framework Ruby.framework
DirectoryService.framework SafariServices.framework
DiscRecording.framework SceneKit.framework
DiscRecordingUI.framework ScreenSaver.framework
DiskArbitration.framework Scripting.framework
DrawSprocket.framework ScriptingBridge.framework
EventKit.framework Security.framework
ExceptionHandling.framework SecurityFoundation.framework
FWAUserLib.framework SecurityInterface.framework
FinderSync.framework ServiceManagement.framework
ForceFeedback.framework Social.framework
Foundation.framework SpriteKit.framework
GLKit.framework StoreKit.framework
GLUT.framework SyncServices.framework
GSS.framework System.framework
GameController.framework SystemConfiguration.framework
GameKit.framework TWAIN.framework
GameplayKit.framework Tcl.framework
Hypervisor.framework Tk.framework
ICADevices.framework VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework
IMCore.framework VideoToolbox.framework
IMServicePlugIn.framework WebKit.framework
IOBluetooth.framework module.map
IOBluetoothUI.framework vecLib.framework
IOKit.framework vmnet.framework
IOSurface.framework
Reply | Threaded
|

Predrag Bokšić
People! Listen to me very carefully.

I know the exact spot where the JVM 9 crashes.

In the file j3d/j3d-core/src/javax/media/j3d/GraphicsConfigTemplate3D.java, in the method...

@Override
public GraphicsConfiguration getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfiguration[] gc) {
if ((gc == null) || (gc.length == 0) || (gc[0] == null)) {
    return null;
}

synchronized (globalLock) {
    testCfg = gc;

// It is possible that the followign postRequest will
    // cause request renderer run immediately before
    // runMonitor(WAIT). So we need to set
    // threadWaiting to true.

threadWaiting = true;

// Prevent deadlock if invoke from Behavior callback since
    // this thread has to wait Renderer thread to finish but
    // MC can only handle postRequest and put it in Renderer
    // queue when free.

if (Thread.currentThread() instanceof BehaviorScheduler) {
         VirtualUniverse.mc.sendRenderMessage(gc[0], this,
         // this is not executed
         MasterControl.GETBESTCONFIG);
    } else {
         // this is executed
         VirtualUniverse.mc.postRequest(MasterControl.GETBESTCONFIG, this);
    }

// this is okay
    runMonitor(J3dThread.WAIT);

// !!!     this crashes the JVM 9    !!!
    GraphicsConfiguration graphicsConfiguration = (GraphicsConfiguration) testCfg;

// this is okay
    return graphicsConfiguration;

}
}

Reply | Threaded
|

Predrag Bokšić
In reply to this post by Douglas Lyon
Douglas, when you git clone the j3d project and curl the jogl files based on the j3d/j3d-core/README-build.html webpage instructions, you create 4 directories. The j3d directories need to be named like this:
j3d-core
j3d-util
vecmath
The jogl directory is named
jogl-v2.3.1

However, the build.xml file in j3d-core directory refers to the jogl-v2.3.2 directory that does not exist initially. This error needs to be corrected to begin compiling your own j3d project.

Reply | Threaded
|

Predrag Bokšić
Douglas, I don't understand why you are seeing any errors in the latest Java 8. I am convinced that everything functions well when you use the Java 8. I don't doubt that you are seeing errors in Java 8, but I suspect that it is off-topic to discuss the details of the graphics configuration, canvas, and other things in this special situation. Maybe you are having some kind of general problem in the local build environment such as the "unclean" environment in which the Java has created multiple directories with the different library files or something that looks like we are seeing ghosts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Predrag Bokšić
I forgot to mention once again: I don't expect any errors if you are using Java 8.

The first error of the type:
Canvas3D: GraphicsConfiguration is not compatible with Canvas3D
or the second error about the null GraphicsConfiguration, are both acceptable.

Both errors messages can be created by crafting the convenient code and both of these messages are useless.

Eventually, the getBestConfiguration(based_on_this_3D_template) method is called and eventually, you can create 3D objects despite any previous error messages.

But you cannot call this method in Java 9.

Reply | Threaded
|

douglaslyon
In reply to this post by Predrag Bokšić
Thanks, I think there is also an error in the "1.5" directive in
the build.xml, as the javac was asking to create "1.6" versions of the
bytecodes (or newer)....
Ciao,
  - D

On 12/27/17 12:36 PM, Predrag Bokšić [via jogamp] wrote:

> Douglas, when you git clone j3d and jogl projects based on the
> j3d/j3d-core/README-build.html webpage instructions, you create 4
> directories. The j3d directories need to be named like this:
> j3d-core
> j3d-util
> vecmath
> The jogl directory is named
> jogl-v2.3.1
>
> However, the build.xml file in j3d-core directory refers to the
> jogl-v2.3.2 directory that does not exist initially. This error needs to
> be corrected to begin compiling your own j3d project.
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
> below:
> http://forum.jogamp.org/Jogl-Jogamp-on-Java-9-tp4038012p4038448.html
> To unsubscribe from Jogl/Jogamp on Java 9, click here
> <
> NAML
> <
http://forum.jogamp.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Douglas Lyon
Here is how I am able to run java on the mac;
step 1, totally remove jdk9;

sudo rm -fr /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-9.jdk/
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

step 2, reinstall jdk8 (1.8_151)

The jdk9 launcher was somehow preventing the creation of a canvas3d, even when jdk8 was selected
as the preferred run-time. I do not know what is going on with that.

You may test my webstart version of jogl at:
http://www.docjava.com/book/cgij/code/jnlp/j3d.examples.boids.Main.jnlp

Please let me know if you have any problems running the program...and if anybody can
get jdk9 on a mac to run java3d, I would sure appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks!
 - Doug
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Douglas Lyon wrote
Thank you for your prompt response.
You may see: "-Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig" in the jvm invocation,
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_152.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig
 Is that right?
No, it isn't, you have to use "-Dj3d.allowNullGraphicsConfig=true" otherwise the null graphics configuration remains disabled.

Predrag, why does it crash?
https://github.com/gouessej/java3d-core/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jogamp/java3d/GraphicsConfigTemplate3D.java#L320

There is no need of "pipeline be done in software", the problem is in the initialization with AWT, JOGL itself isn't to blame. You don't realize the amount of work that would require the implementation of a software pipeline and anyway, as the concern is in AWT, such a pipeline wouldn't help at all.

Nobody should use Java Webstart nowadays...
Reply | Threaded
|

Predrag Bokšić
The exact line of code where the JVM 9 crashes (on the latest Apple computers) can be found in the file j3d/j3d-core/src/javax/media/j3d/GraphicsConfigTemplate3D.java, in the method GraphicsConfiguration getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfiguration[] gc). Please read the method contents to find the line inside.

@Override
public GraphicsConfiguration getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfiguration[] gc) {
if ((gc == null) || (gc.length == 0) || (gc[0] == null)) {
    return null;
}

synchronized (globalLock) {
    testCfg = gc;

// It is possible that the followign postRequest will
    // cause request renderer run immediately before
    // runMonitor(WAIT). So we need to set
    // threadWaiting to true.

threadWaiting = true;

// Prevent deadlock if invoke from Behavior callback since
    // this thread has to wait Renderer thread to finish but
    // MC can only handle postRequest and put it in Renderer
    // queue when free.

if (Thread.currentThread() instanceof BehaviorScheduler) {
         VirtualUniverse.mc.sendRenderMessage(gc[0], this,
         // this is not executed
         MasterControl.GETBESTCONFIG);
    } else {
         // this is executed
         VirtualUniverse.mc.postRequest(MasterControl.GETBESTCONFIG, this);
    }

// this is okay
    runMonitor(J3dThread.WAIT);

GraphicsConfiguration graphicsConfiguration = (GraphicsConfiguration) testCfg;

// this is okay
    return graphicsConfiguration;

}
}

More precisely, the spot where the JVM 9 crashes is in

canvas.doQuery();

in

@Override
    GraphicsConfiguration getBestConfiguration(GraphicsConfigTemplate3D gct,
            GraphicsConfiguration[] gc)

in the file j3d-core/src/javax/media/j3d/JoglPipeline.java.

And even more precisely, the spot where the JVM 9 crashes is in

context.destroy();

in the following method:

// It seems that at least on Mac OS X we need to do the OpenGL
        // context-related work outside of the addNotify call because the
        // Canvas hasn't been resized to a non-zero size by that point
        private void doQuery() {
            if (alreadyRan)
                return;
            GLContext context = glDrawable.createContext(null);
            int res = context.makeCurrent();
            if (res != GLContext.CONTEXT_NOT_CURRENT) {
                try {
                    chooser.init(context);
                } finally {
                    context.release();
                }
            }

context.destroy();

alreadyRan = true;

glDrawable.setRealized(false);
            nativeWindow.destroy();
        }
    }

in the file JoglPipeline.java.

I don't know why this is happening, but I was interested in learning how to examine the program execution.