Learning about JOGL and OpenGL from Java3D background.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Learning about JOGL and OpenGL from Java3D background.

ZacharyABCD
I come from a Java3D 1.5.2 background, wishing to learn about JOGL (OpenGL for JAva, really).

-Does JOGL include a per object, per constructor, per function access to OpenGL?  Are the names used for everything in JOGL directly parallel to the C++ ones for OpenGL?

-The JOGL tutorial contains a dead link at the moment.  Can someone fix this and include the tutorial?

-Does this tutorial exist as a downlodable .pdf file?  Where can I obtain such a .pdf file?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Learning about JOGL and OpenGL from Java3D background.

jmaasing
ZacharyABCD wrote
-Does JOGL include a per object, per constructor, per function access to OpenGL?  Are the names used for everything in JOGL directly parallel to the C++ ones for OpenGL?
https://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-next/javadoc/jogl/javadoc/com/jogamp/opengl/package-summary.html

ZacharyABCD wrote
-The JOGL tutorial contains a dead link at the moment.  Can someone fix this and include the tutorial?
Did you mean this page? https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Jogl_Tutorial

It would've been nice if you at least said what link :-) Almost all of the linked tutorials have been published by persons that the jogamp maintainers have no contact with. Try asking the person that published the linked tutorial.

Reply | Threaded
|

ZacharyABCD
-I'll take your first reply as a YES answer to my first question.

-The following links won't go through to the server to obtain their webpage files.

Justin's Getting Started with JOGL 2 Tutorials

JOGL Tutorial 1 - Environment Setup
    JOGL Tutorial 2 - Creating a Window
    JOGL Tutorial 3 - Creating a Render Loop

-I downloaded the stable, recommended version of JOGL in the file jogamp-all-platforms.7z from your web pages.
What version release is this of JOGL, anyway?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
The latest released version is 2.3.2, the next maintenance version will be 2.3.3.

Some tutorials not stored into our server might have become unreachable, there is nothing we can do but there are tons of other tutorials that are still available.

By the way, Java3D 1.5.2 is no longer maintained, we maintain only Java3D 1.6.0-final and mainly Java3D 1.7.0.

JOGL and OpenGL entry points are very similar, we provide higher level APIs too but you can still use low level APIs anyway. I advise you to have a look at our Java API documentation. xerxes and me provided some examples for OpenGL and OpenGL ES 1 & 2, elect provided more modern examples, jogl-demos on Github contains our demos, all examples of the OpenGL Red Book have been translated to JOGL.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website