6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac OS X High Sierra

slajar
Hey guys,

apple is driving me nuts :/

Does anyone have a good idea what apple changed in it's latest OS regarding OpenGL?
It seems that when I use OpenGL the whole swing enviornment is going crazy.
Actually, I tried switching to Newt (with external windows) but it still doesn't do anything nice.
The Swing framerate drops significantly from around 20-30 fps to 1 frame per 5 seconds.

It would be great if you could give me a pointer where I can look.

The most crazy thing is, when I use Java8 instead of Apple's Java6 on high sierra it much better,
but I cannot switch to java8 ad hoc. This is planned for next year.

thanks in advance
Matthias
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mac OS X High Sierra

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Maybe you have found some regressions in Java 1.9 under OS X High Sierra. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

What was wrong with NEWT?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

slajar
Hi Julien,

nothing is wrong with newt. It's great, but I cannot switch so ad hoc, since I am mixing totally with swing.
That's why I stuck to the AWT implementation and I am stuck for now to java6 :/

The problem is that newt also doesn't solve the issue I am facing. Even the newt window is a separate one, it influences the swing rendering process....

Maybe you have a idea what I could try instead. I am willing to switch to newt if it fixes my high sierra problem ;)

thank you for help
Matthias
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You can use an OpenJDK 1.8 build provided by AdoptOpenJDK, can't you? What about NewtCanvasAWT?
Reply | Threaded
|

slajar
Hey Julien,

yes, we are testing OpenJDK8 since early alpha versions. The problem is that the performance is not even comparable to the AppleJDK :/
Unfortunately, NewtCanvasAWT didn't solve the issue on Java6. Is does drop down the rendering to a frame per 5 seconds too. So newt is only usable in jdk8 and jdk8 is pretty slow compared to jdk6 on mac.

I am a bit stuck. That's why I am asking if you guys know a bit more and what I could test additionally.

regards
Matthias
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I understand your position but Apple Java is deprecated. I assume that only a subset of Java is slower in OpenJDK, can you be more accurate?