4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NEWT Controller Support?

glangho
This post was updated on .
Hello,

Are there any plans for NEWT to support controllers (i.e, game pads, xbox controllers, etc.)?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NEWT Controller Support?

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

GLFW doesn't support Android unlike NEWT and as far as I remember, I succeeded in making JInput work with JOGL within JogAmp's Ardor2D Continuation several years ago, it should work. If you don't succeed in using JInput whereas it works somehow and it's designed to support controllers, I don't see how switching to another API would help.

Moreover, this forum isn't the right place to promote any JogAmp competitor. You're free to choose any APIs that fit into your needs but I moderate this forum and I don't want yet another endless nonconstructive debate at this subject.

Finally, I planned to add a new input API into NEWT (instead of integrating a flavor of JInput inside JOGL) several years ago but it requires noticeable changes in the current APIs, it has been postponed to JOGL 2.4.0. Feel free to contribute.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

glangho

Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything.  I'll modify my post when I get to a PC.  JInput doesn't support hot swapping which is important to me.  You can hack around it to create a new ControllerEnvironment through reflection, but all the controllers get created as new objects and without hash/equalsTo being overridden it's impossible to tell a new controller from an old one.  I'm a big fan of NEWT and was hoping there was something "native" in the pipeline. 

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 5:42 PM gouessej [via jogamp] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

GLFW doesn't support Android unlike NEWT and as far as I remember, I succeeded in making JInput work with JOGL within JogAmp's Ardor2D Continuation several years ago, it should work. If you don't succeed in using JInput whereas it works somehow and it's designed to support controllers, I don't see how switching to another API would help.

Moreover, this forum isn't the right place to promote any JogAmp competitor. You're free to choose any APIs that fit into your needs but I moderate this forum and I don't want yet another endless nonconstructive debate at this subject.

Finally, I planned to add a new input API into NEWT (instead of integrating a flavor of JInput inside JOGL) several years ago but it requires noticeable changes in the current APIs, it has been postponed to JOGL 2.4.0. Feel free to contribute.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.jogamp.org/NEWT-Controller-Support-tp4038042p4038043.html
To unsubscribe from NEWT Controller Support?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Ok, I see what you mean but I thought that JInput supported hot swapping somehow. I remember that someone added a method to rescan, it might help you.