7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New JOGL and Eclipse/RCP/SWT tutorial

Wade Walker
Administrator
Hi guys,

My latest tutorial is up at http://wadeawalker.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/tutorial-displaying-java-opengl-in-an-eclipse-editor-with-a-menu-bar-and-a-runpause-button/.

This one shows how to create a more elaborate app with menus and buttons that renders JOGL in an editor window. It's still pretty minimal, but will eventually demonstrate how to write a full-featured graphics/science/engineering/CAD/EDA app.

I've got lots of experience writing engineering apps using this same framework at my day job, so these tutorials will hopefully let people avoid the dead-ends and mistakes that I've run into over the last several years

Enjoy!

-w

P.S. If anyone out there is willing to try my tutorials on a Mac, I'd really appreciate it. They should run under OS X and Cocoa, but I don't have a Mac, so I can't test that platform.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New JOGL and Eclipse/RCP/SWT tutorial

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
Nice one again  Really looking forward where ur tutorials are heading ...

Keep up the good work!
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wade Walker
Why are some words in my mother tongue (French)?

Nice tutorial :) but I'm still worried when I see the old buggy GLCanvas of SWT.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

BrickFarmer
Nice job!  It's been a while since I did any RCP & SWT, makes me want to get back into it again :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by gouessej
gouessej wrote
Why are some words in my mother tongue (French)?
These tutorials are written as dialogs between me and a fictional character who writes the boldface headings. This character is supposed to be well-educated but naïve, so he drops words from other languages into his writing, not realizing that it makes him hard for normal people to understand. In this tutorial, he's using wine-related metaphors, and of course we all know the native language of fine wines is French

gouessej wrote
Nice tutorial :) but I'm still worried when I see the old buggy GLCanvas of SWT.
Don't worry, I'm keeping your advice firmly in mind -- if I run into a problem and the SWT guys can't or won't fix it, I'll switch canvases.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by Demoscene Passivist
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I like how supportive the community is here at Jogamp.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi!

Wade Walker wrote
of course we all know the native language of fine wines is French
We have very pretty women here too

Wade Walker wrote
Don't worry, I'm keeping your advice firmly in mind -- if I run into a problem and the SWT guys can't or won't fix it, I'll switch canvases.
At least evocate this possibility in your tutorials, I can help you if you want.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website