5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New tutorial: Making native binaries for JOGL apps

Wade Walker
Administrator
Hi guys,

I put up a new tutorial at http://wadeawalker.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/tutorial-creating-native-binary-executables-for-multi-platform-java-apps-with-opengl-and-eclipse-rcp/ that shows (as you might expect from the URL) how to create native binaries for JOGL apps using Eclipse RCP.

You can distribute these binaries to users just like any other executable, and they can run even without a Java installation on the user's machine.

Enjoy!

-w
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New tutorial: Making native binaries for JOGL apps

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
Wow! Really nice one again

I wasn't at all aware that Eclipse had such a great functionality. Until now I was using launch4j to create executable launchers, wich is cool btw, but if u can do it with buildin functionality from Eclipse I'll consider switching to that.

I vaguely remember a discussion in jogamp@conference.jabber.org a while ago were Sven+Michael discussed to integrate a ".DLL/.SO Depacker" functionality to the JOGL jars to ease deployment. Is this project still on the "todo-list" ? Maybe a nice addition for all "non Eclipse"-Developers ...

Other than the above I can only add: Really looking forward to ur next tutorial!
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Nice tutorial. Personally I prefer using Java Web Start and especially IzPack. I have to admit that it could be helpful for some beginners, your tutorial is well written and detailed as usual. Thanks.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by Demoscene Passivist
Demoscene Passivist wrote
I wasn't at all aware that Eclipse had such a great functionality.

That's the main reason I'm writing these tutorials -- there are so many things you can do with software like Eclipse and JOGL, but people just don't know about it because the information is hidden away. Sometimes it's taken me a long time to figure these things out, but hopefully no one else will have to do it the hard way

Thanks for the encouragement!
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by gouessej
gouessej wrote
Nice tutorial. Personally I prefer using Java Web Start and especially IzPack.
You can probably tell that I write engineering/science software for a living -- all of our stuff at work is desktop apps instead of web apps because our data sets are too large

I want to try Java Web Start in the future, but I haven't had the chance so far. I had never heard of IzPack -- it looks pretty useful! I'll definitely try it out next time I need an installer.