4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New tutorials on using JOGL in Java Web Start and Java applets

Wade Walker
Administrator
Hi guys,

I've created two new tutorials to help people get started using JOGL in Java Web Start applications and Java applets:

https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Using_JOGL_in_Java_Web_Start
https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Using_JOGL_in_a_Java_applet

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes, if anything is unclear, or if I've left out something you'd like to see.

The examples are very simple, but they show in detail how to get a basic app or applet up and running. I'm currently working on enhancing JNLPAppletLauncher to use relative directory paths, so after I fix that I'll update the tutorials. I've also got a lot more information about remote debugging inside browsers that I'm waiting to put up until I've tested it better.

Java Web Start apps work fine on all platforms. I've tested applets in IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari on Windows, and they also work fine. Java applets work in Safari on Mac OS X, but currently don't work in Firefox and Chrome on Mac OS X unless you drag them outside the browser. I haven't tested applets on Linux yet.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New tutorials on using JOGL in Java Web Start and Java applets

gouessej
Administrator
Thank you so much. I'm looking at them now. It is so useful, even several OpenGL (in C) experts asked me several times if such tutorials exist.

Edit.: Newbies might not find keytool on Windows, maybe just say that on this OS it is called keytool.exe. The tutorial about Java Web Start is really excellent, good job :)

Edit.2: According to you, would it be useful to mention that it is possible to use JARs hosted by JogAmp (using it as a jnlp extension)? What about using Pack2000 and JAR compression?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wade Walker
Nice one!  I'll definitly need those in the near future ... If I find any usefull additions or bugs I'll let u know. Keep up the good work

Reply | Threaded
|

Qu0ll
Thanks Wade, that's very helpful.