classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oculus Rift SDK 0.7 Support

crramirez
Hello,

I just want to know how is the progress of OculusVR JOGL implementation of SDK 0.7 or 0.8.

I am stuck using JOVR and JOGL for 0.7.

Also I saw LWJGL 3 beta have included support for 0.8

BTW: I am giving support to Open Wonderland to Oculus Rift
Regards
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oculus Rift SDK 0.7 Support

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Reminder: JOVR has nothing to do with JogAmp. The author of this library chose this name despite the possible confusion with our bindings.

Please avoid mentioning our main competitor here, it's just an annoyance for me. You're free to choose the libraries that fit the best into your needs but don't come here to promote those other libraries. We are a few contributors, we do so on our spare time, nobody should "push" us or demand anything. I understand that you're interested in virtual reality and especially with the Oculus Rift but I remind you that our main competitor doesn't even support AWT, SWT and Swing since its third version and its wrapper of a windowing toolkit is less capable than NEWT (especially on multi screens systems), it doesn't support Android...

Sven, please can you tell us more about the Oculus Rift support within JOGL?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
In reply to this post by crramirez
What have you tried so far, crramirez?
Reply | Threaded
|

crramirez
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by gouessej
Hello Julien,

I apologize if I offended you or the group in any way. I only see support for SDK 0.3 but I suppose the team is working on it, I want to know the status to decide if I stay fighting with JOVR or wait for an implementation in JOGL.

Sorry for another implementation I don't know how is your relationship with them. Again I don't see in the documentation or roadmap about Oculus 0.7 in JOGL but I suppose are working on it because others are doing so. But I apologize again my goal is very far than pushing someone.

Regards,
Carlos
Reply | Threaded
|

crramirez
In reply to this post by elect
Hello elect,

I am following the Oculus Developer guide and some examples that uses other technologies in Java. First I tried with SDK 0.4.4 with no result, then I am trying with SDK 0.7 with similar results.

What I try is to render some scene made with JME 2 or pure Open GL using JOGL into a texture and then send it to the SDK for proper distortion and color aberration correction. I can render into the texture because I can display its content to the screen or save it to a file and then see the image in the file.

But when I send it to the SDK the returned mirror texture is black (in 0.7) or is displayed in black (0.4).

Now I have a simple small application using merely JOGL to render a simple triangle to the SDK and for now I am getting the same results. I am still trying, but after Jullien suggested me that if I use another technology it can enter in conflict with JOGL I came here looking for an implementation in JOGL to avoid conflicts or looking for a solution.

Thank you for asking
Regards,
Carlos
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Keep in mind that the direct HMD mode only works under Windows in the latest version of LibOVR used under the hood by some libraries you mentioned and using the SDK distortion rendering instead of the client distortion rendering might be very tricky as it gives you less control on the rendering.

Sven knows Oculus Rift better than me...
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You should read this to understand a bit why it's not a good idea to mention one particular library:
http://forum.jogamp.org/road-map-release-builds-tp1853748p4033827.html

This forum exists mainly because the situation was unbearable on the main Java forum...

I'm not a native speaker neither.
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
crramirez wrote
I apologize if I offended you or the group in any way.
Don't worry about it. There is some bad history there but you couldn't know that of course. Just keep asking questions . Usually the questions will be answered but sometimes it takes a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
crramirez wrote
Hello elect,

I am following the Oculus Developer guide and some examples that uses other technologies in Java. First I tried with SDK 0.4.4 with no result, then I am trying with SDK 0.7 with similar results.

What I try is to render some scene made with JME 2 or pure Open GL using JOGL into a texture and then send it to the SDK for proper distortion and color aberration correction. I can render into the texture because I can display its content to the screen or save it to a file and then see the image in the file.

But when I send it to the SDK the returned mirror texture is black (in 0.7) or is displayed in black (0.4).

Now I have a simple small application using merely JOGL to render a simple triangle to the SDK and for now I am getting the same results. I am still trying, but after Jullien suggested me that if I use another technology it can enter in conflict with JOGL I came here looking for an implementation in JOGL to avoid conflicts or looking for a solution.

Thank you for asking
Regards,
Carlos
In the 0.4 are you applying distortion manually or are you using the one of the sdk?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 12/02/2015 03:58 PM, crramirez [via jogamp] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just want to know how is the progress of OculusVR JOGL implementation of SDK
> 0.7 or 0.8.
>
> I am stuck using JOVR and JOGL for 0.7.
>
> Also I saw LWJGL 3 beta have included support for 0.8
>
> BTW: I am giving support to Open Wonderland to Oculus Rift
> Regards
Since JOGL 2.3.2,
'OculusVR SDK 0.5.0.1' is supported for GNU/Linux, OSX and Windows.
See Bug 1151: <https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1151>

I haven't checked lately whether anything has changed w/ OculusVR SDK,
but at around 2015-07-25 there was no support for
  - all platforms

- client rendering which uses our own distortion renderer,
    implying using our chosen OpenGL profile and binding.

The letter is quite important for us, since we may use
different OpenGL implementations.

However, OculusVR seems to have decided to only support
their own distortion rendering (forgot how they called it).

Further more, they decided to also drop GNU/Linux and OSX
support for 'the time being'.

In any of the above issues still exists, we cannot support
any of their 'walled garden' SDK. But feel free to utilize the
0.5.0.1 SDK in conjunction w/ our StereoRenderer framework.

<http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-next/javadoc/jogl/javadoc/com/jogamp/opengl/util/stereo/package-summary.html>

<http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-next/javadoc/jogl/javadoc/com/jogamp/opengl/util/stereo/StereoDeviceRenderer.html>

A working demo/test application is available here:

<http://jogamp.org/git/?p=jogl.git;a=blob;f=src/test/com/jogamp/opengl/test/junit/jogl/stereo/StereoDemo01.java;hb=HEAD>

You can see a presentation here:

Talk
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BbbiUyeE0VU#t=2255>

Demo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BbbiUyeE0VU#t=2836>

~Sven

signature.asc (828 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

crramirez
Hello,

Thank you all for your responses. I finally was able to render in the SDK using 0.7 version.

elect:

I was trying to use the SDK distortion so the code will be compatible with less changes with the future SDK versions. Also it looks like simpler for me.

julien and sven:

I want to have the software ready for oculus launch. I know the choices have narrowed but I want first to support Oculus with their tech decisions and then try to support OpenVR for other platforms. Android with the GearVR and finally Google Cardboard. So I am developing in a Windows machine with SDK 0.7 installed.

sven:

Thank you for the presentation and very important in what SDK the JOGL implementation runs. I want to support extended mode too because there is a lot of laptops (including mine) which are not direct mode capable, and I want to support them also Mac and Linux because the virtual world is not as demanding as a real game so it can run smooth in not gamer laptops. I probably use the JOGL implementation for this.

I have a demo with just one class and in maven which can render in SDK 0.7. I will work with it a while to fix the cameras and head tracking and then when it is ready a can attach it if someone is interested.

In general my problems were my lack of experience in OpenGL, but in fact 0.7 is easier than the former. Also I could find an example with pure OpenGL and without frameworks or external helper classes. My demo will be as simple and tiny I can.

Regards,
Carlos

Reply | Threaded
|

crramirez
Hello,

Here the example for anyone want to check it>

https://bitbucket.org/cyramix/jogl_jovr_example/src/7d32994289d28a722d996b417810e0c88f92b91c/src/main/java/com/cyramix/cyramixvr_example/JoglJovrExample.java?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

It only draws a triangle and use viewports still no head tracking just rendering

Regards
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Please can you use a more recent version of JOGL? javax.media.opengl no longer exists in JOGL 2.3.2.
Reply | Threaded
|

crramirez

Hello Julien

Yes for the example I think I can upgrade to the latest version. In OpenWonderland it implies another migration which I want avoid for now so not introducing more points of failure. After I have an estable OpenWonderland version with Oculus I will consider migrate to the latest version and also from jme2 to ardor3d

Regards

El 4:43PM Vie Dic 11, 2015, gouessej [via jogamp] <[hidden email]> escribió:
Please can you use a more recent version of JOGL? javax.media.opengl no longer exists in JOGL 2.3.2.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
To unsubscribe from Oculus Rift SDK 0.7 Support, click here.
NAML