Problems With Video Capture and Streaming

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems With Video Capture and Streaming

Mike
Hey guys. I'm nearing the end of my game project, (which you can check out here http://www.silvergobletgames.com/) and I've noticed some some problems with video capture and twitch streaming.

When I stream to twitch using OBS (industry standard software) the video output is choppy and has lots of black frames. Once every few seconds or so the entire video output will flash black for a frame or two. If I try to record to a file using video capture software the video output is choppy but with no black frames. This problem is fairly consistent, but on rare occasion if I restart the game the problem will go away.  While recording, the game runs at a solid 60fps with no stutters or problems. This problem is reproducible on my computer with a brand new Nvidia card and on my friends computer with a new Radeon card.

As far as the game rendering goes I am using the NEWT toolkit and the latest Jogl 2.2.4 . I use a self driven rendering loop without an animator, but while trying to debug this problem I switched to the glwindow.invoke(GlRunnable) technique proposed by Goussej in the following thread http://forum.jogamp.org/synchronization-issues-td4029115.html#a4029136 . Switching to this technique may have mitigated the problem, the black frames seem less frequent but still occurring.  I feel like this problem is maybe related to GLContext sharing/locking problems, as I have had problems with this in the past. I share the context with an OffscreenAutoDrawable that I use for threaded texture loading, so maybe the problem is incorrect context sharing code?

Do you guys have any hint on what might be causing this, or what avenues I could explore to fix it?  I can link example code if you would like, let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Problems With Video Capture and Streaming

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Do you reproduce this problem with any other OpenGL game?

Edit.: Titanis seems to be very good, good job :)
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Mike
I'm going to try some of the jogl demos now, and some other games. Off the top of my head I think Minecraft was made with JOGL right? People stream that all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mike
Can confirm minecraft works fine. I had trouble getting the gear demo working but I think its an unrelated problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
In reply to this post by Mike
Mike wrote
I'm going to try some of the jogl demos now, and some other games. Off the top of my head I think Minecraft was made with JOGL right? People stream that all the time.
No, it uses lwjgl.