6 messages Options
jxt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Profiles [GL4bc, GL3bc, GL2, GLES1] not available on device null

jxt
This post was updated on .
I have an old Java3D application written by someone else years ago that I am having to maintain. I have it working on my Mac, but when I run the exact same code on Windows in a Parallels 11 Windows 10 VM, I get this error:

That's the message associated with a com.jogamp.opengl.GLException.

I'm guessing that maybe the Parallels drivers don't support the level of OpenGL that is used. Parallels claims to support up to OpenGL 2.1. So I have the following questions:

What level of OpenGL is needed by the current jogamp and java3d?

Is the theory about Parallels drivers consistent with the error message above?

What should I make of the "on device null" part of the message?

Any suggestions of how to make this work?

Thanks.
jxt
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Profiles [GL4bc, GL3bc, GL2, GLES1] not available on device null

jxt
And this all happens with the latest versions of jogamp, j3dcore, j3dutils, and vecmath, following the instructions at the Java 3D is Back site.

jxt wrote
I have an old Java3D application written by someone else years ago that I am having to maintain. I have it working on my Mac, but when I run the exact same code on Windows in a Parallels 11 Windows 10 VM, I get this error:

That's the message associated with a com.jogamp.opengl.GLException.

I'm guessing that maybe the Parallels drivers don't support the level of OpenGL that is used. Parallels claims to support up to OpenGL 2.1. So I have the following questions:

What level of OpenGL is needed by the current jogamp and java3d?

Is the theory about Parallels drivers consistent with the error message above?

What should I make of the "on device null" part of the message?

Any suggestions of how to make this work?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by jxt
Hi

Parallels is NOT supported, a bug in this software prevents it from working with JOGL (and then with the JOGL pipeline of Java3D). You can use VirtualBox instead, it should work.

Java3D 1.6.0 and Java3D 1.7.0 require only OpenGL 1.2 like older versions of Java3D and it won't change anytime soon as I'm strongly against planned obsolescence.

If the problem persists, ensure that your computer is clean, use the JogAmp fat JAR as explained in my tutorial and please post the full stack trace.

Good luck.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by jxt
Please give us a lot more information if you really want to get some help in the future:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Jogl_FAQ#Bugreports_.26_Testing

I don't know which JRE you use, which graphics card, which driver, I just know that you use Parallels 11 VM under Mac to run your program under Windows 10.

If you can, just run your program under Windows 10 and you'll see that it just works :) I'm not responsible for the bugs of proprietary softwares. Reminder: JOGL is open source.
jxt
Reply | Threaded
|

jxt
In reply to this post by gouessej
gouessej wrote
Parallels is NOT supported, a bug in this software prevents it from working with JOGL (and then with the JOGL pipeline of Java3D).
Thanks for that information. Nice of Parallels, huh? I'll try to dig up an old windows PC to try it on, or maybe borrow a newer one.

Do you have any idea of the nature of the bug in Parallels so that I can complain to them? If VirtualBox can do it, surely Parallels could fix their bug.

Also, do you know if VMWare Fusion VMs support the current JOGL?

As for the other information, it's a one year old retina MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon R9 M370X video card. Also has built-in Intel Iris Pro graphics. The system decides whether to use the AMD or Intel GPU. There's more information available, but I think what really matters is whatever virtual graphics card and drivers are supplied by Parallels. Supposed to be DirectX 10.

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
jxt wrote
gouessej wrote
Parallels is NOT supported, a bug in this software prevents it from working with JOGL (and then with the JOGL pipeline of Java3D).
Thanks for that information. Nice of Parallels, huh? I'll try to dig up an old windows PC to try it on, or maybe borrow a newer one.

Do you have any idea of the nature of the bug in Parallels so that I can complain to them? If VirtualBox can do it, surely Parallels could fix their bug.
Emmanuel and me already posted on the official forum of Parallels, don't expect a bug fix. Anyway, work must pay, I don't promote commercial products for free. I advise you to use another software for the same purpose.

jxt wrote
Also, do you know if VMWare Fusion VMs support the current JOGL?
I haven't tested with VMWare Fusion. If it succeeds, please let me know.

jxt wrote
As for the other information, it's a one year old retina MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon R9 M370X video card. Also has built-in Intel Iris Pro graphics. The system decides whether to use the AMD or Intel GPU. There's more information available, but I think what really matters is whatever virtual graphics card and drivers are supplied by Parallels. Supposed to be DirectX 10.

Thanks.
The mechanism similar to "The system decides whether to use the AMD or Intel GPU" (and Optimus for Nvidia) can cause some problems, especially when it's able to switch to another GPU at runtime, even without using a virtualization software.

You're welcome.