classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reorganizing the wiki

elect
Hi,

I'd like to reorganize the wiki... because it seems there are a lot of outdated stuff and duplicated links..

I'd like to move the "JogAmp's Static" section from Tutorial, where it has nothing to do with, into Jogl Overview.

I'd like to clean the "Tutorial" section declaring explicitly what is unreachable/outdated and push it at the end of the page

Ps: I finally also wrote a page about why people should choose jogl over lwjgl, "Why Instance Design"  this is something very important in my opinion, since many people would like to know when they start looking at the available OpenGL java bindings. I copied/pasted roughly the thread it refers to, so please feel free to improve it

Pps: I am noticing that sometimes when I clicks link on the jogl forum, I get an advertising popup window!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Reorganizing the wiki

Wade Walker
Administrator
Hi elect,

If you find there's a problem with any of my tutorials or wiki pages, let me know and I'll fix them up :)
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
Wade Walker wrote
Hi elect,

If you find there's a problem with any of my tutorials or wiki pages, let me know and I'll fix them up :)

Hi Wade :)

I'd say, if you use some deprecated functions (like glVertex, glNormal) we should write that in the wiki, like the opengl wiki does, or you may want to update the tutorials..

What do you think?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by elect
Hi

I get this annoying popup too, it goes away when I use ublock origin.

I'd prefer you avoid mentioning explicitly the other library (which isn't the only Java API with such design) and I think that a few things should be rephrased because they seem to be ok for non native speakers like us but not for native ones. In my humble opinion, the absence of interoperability with SWT, AWT and Swing in our closest competitors is still an advantage even though the situation is different with JavaFX.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by elect
elect wrote
Hi Wade :)

I'd say, if you use some deprecated functions (like glVertex, glNormal) we should write that in the wiki, like the opengl wiki does, or you may want to update the tutorials..

What do you think?
Sure, you can note that in the wiki if you want. Eventually I'll make new tutorials, I had just been waiting for Eclipse 4 to settle down a bit so I could update for both that and new OpenGL at the same time :)

Reply | Threaded
|

elect
gouessej wrote
Hi

I get this annoying popup too, it goes away when I use ublock origin.

Time to move to the new forum

gouessej wrote
I'd prefer you avoid mentioning explicitly the other library (which isn't the only Java API with such design)
I knew you would have say that ;), but many beginners do not have a clou about which library choose, that's why I think it'd be much better to make things clear and bullet proof. Anyway, let's see also what the others think about this

gouessej wrote
I think that a few things should be rephrased because they seem to be ok for non native speakers like us but not for native ones.
Yeah, please don't hesitate to do that if you know how to improve it

Anyway, who is native speaker here?

gouessej wrote
In my humble opinion, the absence of interoperability with SWT, AWT and Swing in our closest competitors is still an advantage even though the situation is different with JavaFX.
Yeah, but where do you think this should be inserted? Because that page explains essentially the different design, do you think it'd make sense to put it there?

Ps: can you help this guy here?

Wade Walker wrote
Sure, you can note that in the wiki if you want. Eventually I'll make new tutorials, I had just been waiting for Eclipse 4 to settle down a bit so I could update for both that and new OpenGL at the same time :)
Ok, good :)
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

elect wrote
I knew you would have say that ;), but many beginners do not have a clou about which library choose, that's why I think it'd be much better to make things clear and bullet proof. Anyway, let's see also what the others think about this
There is no need to make any publicity to this library, their maintainers and their users are able to do it without our help. If your explanations are clear, a beginner will be able to discover the differences between the two libraries without our intervention. JogAmp isn't a second class citizen, it doesn't exist only against something else, it has its own reasons to exist.

elect wrote
Yeah, please don't hesitate to do that if you know how to improve it

Anyway, who is native speaker here?
My mother tongue is close to yours, I can make such mistakes too, maybe Wade should read what we write in the wiki.

elect wrote
Yeah, but where do you think this should be inserted? Because that page explains essentially the different design, do you think it'd make sense to put it there?
Personally, I'm in favour of a feature list rather than a "JogAmp vs The World" comparison.

elect wrote
Ps: can you help this guy here?
Please ask him to contact us on JogAmp or on StackOverflow. What he tries to do isn't doable with the third version of the other library but it is doable with a JInternalFrame or a JPanel and a GLJPanel. If I were you, I wouldn't start another war on Reddit. He can use Nifty GUI, LibGDX Scene2D or Ardor3D UI if he wants to build a pure OpenGL UI without AWT.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website