Setting Up JOGL for OpenGL on Windows 10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Setting Up JOGL for OpenGL on Windows 10

ZacharyABCD
(I am already aware that I need to use the appropriate gldelete() methods when finished with my composed
GL Classes).

For my purposes in programming in java JOGL to OpenGL,..

-Which jar files do I need to reference from the classpath variable to call OpenGL, and never DirectX?

-Which Windows 10 .dll files do I need to reference from the classpath variable to call OpenGL, and never DirectX?

-Which Mageia Linux .so libs do I need to reference from the classpath variable to call OpenGL, and never DirectX?
What do I need to do in this department on rpm linux?

-(and again for Mac)?

-In order to code for OpenGL, do I simply need to get the GLObject, such as a GLDrawable?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Setting Up JOGL for OpenGL on Windows 10

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Have you ever read our wiki? This page might help:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_a_JogAmp_project_in_your_favorite_IDE

I'm under Mageia Linux too.

If you want to simplify the use of JogAmp (including JOGL, JOCL, JOAL, GlueGen, ...), you can use the JogAmp fat JAR (jogamp-fat.jar) in this archive:
http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-current/archive/jogamp-fat-all.7z
This fat JAR contains everything you need, both the Java libraries and the native libraries. The automated native library loading is enabled by default, which means that you don't need to tinker the .so/.dll/.jnilib files, GlueGen automatically detects your architecture and your operating system, picks the right native libraries within the JAR(s), extract them and load them.

I advise you to look at this rudimentary example:
https://gist.github.com/gouessej/3420e2b6f632efdddf98
You need to get the GL object from the GLAutoDrawable object mainly in the GLEventListener.display() method in which the OpenGL context is guaranteed to be current. You can get this GL object outside of the GLEventListener with GLContext.getCurrentGL() but you have to be sure that the OpenGL context is current otherwise it won't work. The example above is extremely simple, it's just good to understand the basic concepts of JOGL before going any further.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

ZacharyABCD
-Are all the Windows .dll security enhanced/further obfuscated for professional deployment, or not?  What is recommended
I do about that if I want further security for compiled .dll files, certainly once they are compiled and obtained by me as a download after the fact?
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
ZacharyABCD wrote
-Are all the Windows .dll security enhanced/further obfuscated for professional deployment, or not?  What is recommended
I do about that if I want further security for compiled .dll files, certainly once they are compiled and obtained by me as a download after the fact?
What on earth would be the point in obfuscating a DLL that is opensource? Literally anyone can download the source code of the jogamp binaries.
Reply | Threaded
|

ZacharyABCD
Usually a proprietary java program needs work done on it to hide and secure the .class files.
It's just that I don't know what to do on a set of dll files, but

particularly how to obfuscate a group of .jar (.class) files that must continue to work with respect
to a group of .dll files (or other native library files).

What should I do, or is this even a task for you guys (or not)?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I advise you to use ProGuard for the obfuscation.

I'm a professional engineer in computer science, I have worked on numerous proprietary softwares since 2007 and nobody has ever asked me to obfuscate the code at work, mostly because it would have driven the maintenance harder and because it's not mandatory, it's even useless.

I advise you to selectively obfuscate only your own stuff, not the JogAmp APIs, so that you don't take the risk of breaking JOGL itself because if your changes prevent GlueGen from working, JOGL won't work as the native libraries won't be correctly loaded.
Reply | Threaded
|

ZacharyABCD
-Yes, however in a different context, I may well have to obfuscate all java interfaces, classes, variables and functions to prevent interdiction.  A process that only works if I do the same for, in my example, my java compiled code, the jogl .jar files as well as windows dlls.  You are correct that for execution purposes this isn't necessary, it's just that between java jogl and windows dlls for opengl, I can't co-respectively obfuscate or protect.  Is there any kind of possibility that the Jogamp project people can offer some kind of practical option there?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You should ask for help on our IRC channel as I remember that at least one developer obfuscated his game. I don't understand what you mean by "prevent interdiction", please can you elaborate?

JogAmp APIs are free softwares, our license is very permissive. I advise you to contact Sven Göthel for commercial support, he can offer a practical option for your specific use case.
Reply | Threaded
|

ZacharyABCD
-Can someone please reply back here with Sven Göthel's email address, please?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
It's here:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Maintainer_and_Contacts#Sven_Gothel

We don't post full email addresses here to prevent spam bots from collecting them.