classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Site navigation is hopeless.

Frustrated. And tired of wasting time.
You know, guys...

I'm trying to resurrect and update a series of apps that were featured on the original JOGL home page ages ago, and still appear on the home page today.

And I have to say that the biggest hurdle I've encountered is trying to find ANYTHING on this web site.

I'm working on 64 bit win7. I'd like a simple set of links to client dll's and jars for that platform so I can develop against a given rev (say 2.3.1). Just how do I find that? I've searched and searched endless archives of html pages, jnlp's launching sample programs for every rev since dinosaurs roamed the earth... I can start on the home page, from which I've explored endless links, click the big JOGL link in the top nav bar, go to a JOGL page, click the 'download's link in the right-hand nav bar, and end up back at the same damned home page.

I remember once, some time ago, I found a sample jnlp that demo'd hosting the full set of various OS's jars, so I could sign and host the whole set on my site. I seem to remember finding a complete set of the jars, all ready to be signed, nicely organized. I have never, ever been able to find that again.

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't THAT sort of thing be featured on the home page, with a prominent set of links, instead of circular navigation to enormous archives of ancient demo html pages?

I can spend hours here, and never find simple links to useful stuff that I'm looking for.

It's enough to make me think I'd be better off looking at alternatives.

Rant concluded.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Site navigation is hopeless.

elect
I kind of share your opinion

Nice nickname :D
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
In reply to this post by Frustrated. And tired of wasting time.
Is this what you are looking for?

http://jogamp.org/deployment/
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Frustrated. And tired of wasting time. wrote
You know, guys...
Hi

I'm trying to resurrect and update a series of apps that were featured on the original JOGL home page ages ago, and still appear on the home page today.
Which ones? Keep in mind that there have been numerous "security" changes in Java itself in the meantime. As a consequence, this task isn't easy with or without JOGL by the way.

And I have to say that the biggest hurdle I've encountered is trying to find ANYTHING on this web site.

I'm working on 64 bit win7. I'd like a simple set of links to client dll's and jars for that platform so I can develop against a given rev (say 2.3.1). Just how do I find that? I've searched and searched endless archives of html pages, jnlp's launching sample programs for every rev since dinosaurs roamed the earth... I can start on the home page, from which I've explored endless links, click the big JOGL link in the top nav bar, go to a JOGL page, click the 'download's link in the right-hand nav bar, and end up back at the same damned home page.

I remember once, some time ago, I found a sample jnlp that demo'd hosting the full set of various OS's jars, so I could sign and host the whole set on my site. I seem to remember finding a complete set of the jars, all ready to be signed, nicely organized. I have never, ever been able to find that again.

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't THAT sort of thing be featured on the home page, with a prominent set of links, instead of circular navigation to enormous archives of ancient demo html pages?

I can spend hours here, and never find simple links to useful stuff that I'm looking for.

It's enough to make me think I'd be better off looking at alternatives.

Rant concluded.
The link on the right side is broken, it leads to the homepage :s

You should look at this wiki page as JOGL has changed a lot:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Downloading_and_installing_JOGL

In the future, we plan to provide a direct link to a big fat JARs containing all JogAmp APIs (both Java and native libraries). It would ease the use of JOGL especially for newbies. Good luck.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Not quite so tired now.
Hi, guys -

I apologize for going off on you with this the other night. I was tired and frustrated. I'll try to be a little more patient moving forward.