Test/Experience Jogamp on Windows 10 .. ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Test/Experience Jogamp on Windows 10 .. ?

Sven Gothel
Administrator
Bug 1219 - IOUtil.getTempDir(..): Cannot determine 'executable temp base directory' on 'some' Windows 10 boxes
  <https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1219>

I could not confirm this issue:
  <https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1219#c2>

Whoever has access to a Windows 10 box,
please test, and you may put a result as a comment to Bug 1219,
thank you!

Note for Windows 10:

(08:24:13 PM) sgothel: win10: Use customized settings: Opt-Out .. oh dear, 'sending typing and inking to MS ...'
(08:36:00 PM) sgothel: win10: peer to peer bot for updates .. OMFG
(08:36:48 PM) sgothel: (from/to PCs on the internet ... - LAN is fine though)
(08:44:50 PM) sgothel: by instinct I found two setting (privacy and update-advanced-settings) .. lets see what else is in the box .. surprise! :)
(08:55:23 PM) sgothel: win10: Advanced System Settings -> Remote -> Allow Remote Assistance OFF (I know, win7/8 had this as well)
(09:02:47 PM) sgothel: win10: 'microsoft edge' browser: no java applets / plugin
(09:07:04 PM) sgothel: win10: you turn off 'cortana' but it runs as a process ..
(09:08:00 PM) sgothel: win10: jogamp is working here

~Sven

signature.asc (828 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Test/Experience Jogamp on Windows 10 .. ?

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 09/16/2015 09:53 PM, Sven Gothel wrote:

> Note for Windows 10:
>
> (08:24:13 PM) sgothel: win10: Use customized settings: Opt-Out .. oh dear, 'sending typing and inking to MS ...'
> (08:36:00 PM) sgothel: win10: peer to peer bot for updates .. OMFG
> (08:36:48 PM) sgothel: (from/to PCs on the internet ... - LAN is fine though)
> (08:44:50 PM) sgothel: by instinct I found two setting (privacy and update-advanced-settings) .. lets see what else is in the box .. surprise! :)
> (08:55:23 PM) sgothel: win10: Advanced System Settings -> Remote -> Allow Remote Assistance OFF (I know, win7/8 had this as well)
> (09:02:47 PM) sgothel: win10: 'microsoft edge' browser: no java applets / plugin
> (09:07:04 PM) sgothel: win10: you turn off 'cortana' but it runs as a process ..
> (09:08:00 PM) sgothel: win10: jogamp is working here
(08:39:48 PM) xranby_f22: http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229
(08:39:59 PM) xranby_f22: sgothel: yes have you found them all?
(08:40:27 PM) xranby_f22: windwos 10 eats peoples bandwith for lunch
(08:41:15 PM) xranby_f22: microsoft pre-download windows 10 to windows 7 users as well..   i had fun trying to understand why the office internet suddenly became slow

signature.asc (828 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

jhuwaldt
In reply to this post by Sven Gothel
I am experiencing a very similar situation to that described in Bug 1219.  I have several users who have been using my program on Windows 7 and Windows 8 without any problems, but now on Windows 10, most of them get the same error messages as in Bug 1219 ("Caught Exception while retrieving executable temp base directory").  The people reporting this problem (so far) are all running in a corporate environment, so my they have very restricted access permissions (no admin permissions for example) and can not change anti-virus settings if they are interfering.

I am using JOGL 2.3.2 and the users seem to have recent builds of Java 8.  I tried to run the demos (no luck) and so, I ran the test_dbg.bat file that comes with the "jogamp-all-platforms" distribution.  I've attached the resulting log file.  It appears to me that JOGL is trying to run a "jogamp_exe_tst*.exe" file and this is being blocked (either by permissions or by anti-virus, I can't tell; and I my users can't change either themselves -- would have to involve IT department).
test_dbg.zip

Is there any work-around?

Thanks.

Joe Huwaldt
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Disable the GlueGen temporary cache to disable the automated native library loading, deploy the native libraries separately and set the Java library path. If some paranoid virus scanner prevents the native libraries from being loaded, it won't work and I'll have no workaround. I can't do miracles.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website