classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where is GL_nv_path_rendering stuff in jogl2.3

Shirley Carter
Hi everyone,

I am trying to play with Nvidia's path rendering stuff for SVG. Looks like all the functions existed in javax package before 2.3. But starting from 2.3, I can't find any of them. Could someone please give some pointers on how to invoke all those glPath* functions in the current jogl version?

Thanks a lot.

-Shirley  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where is GL_nv_path_rendering stuff in jogl2.3

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Are you talking about this extension?
https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/path_rendering.txt

Do you mean that they (glPathString, glPathCommands, ...) are in JOGL 2.3.1 but not in JOGL 2.3.2? I think that they have been removed (intentionally or not).

Sven, do you know what is wrong?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Shirley Carter
Yes, I am talking about GL_nv_pathing_rendering related stuff. All the glPathString, glPathCommands, ... functions are in all the versions of jogl BEFORE 2.3.0.

So, why they are removed? What's the replacement?

Thanks.

-Shirley
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Only Sven Gothel can answer your first question. In my humble opinion, GL_NV_path_rendering will come back into JOGL if and only if it gets included into OpenGL core.

It's possible to make some path rendering without GL_NV_path_rendering, look at this answer on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/25157819

You can probably use the JOGL Graph API to render Beziers patches without this proprietary extension.

If you just want to render SVG, I advise you to study/port NanoVG from C to Java with JOGL. You can use Batik (at least for parsing) or SVG Salamander.

Tell me more about what you're trying to do and I'll suggest "replacements" that fit more into your needs.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website