3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wurm Online drops JOGL support

gouessej
Administrator
Hi!

I have recently learned that Wurm Online has dropped JOGL support despite the drop of framerate that caused the switch to its competitor (50%). Some people argued that JOGL was like Betamax, no more supported, no more used... I'm really fed up of FUD campaigns and I think it would be fine to be able to list the main applications that use JOGL so that we can inform their authors and prevent these false rumors from frightening them.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wurm Online drops JOGL support

BrickFarmer
I'm a huge fan of JOGL, but I also went through this decision recently.  Without a signed stable release, JOGL is not a realistic option for many projects.  I know the release is just around the corner, but it has been like that for quite some time now.  But I prefer to wait rather then switch, especially because I know the wait is going to be worth while :)  but a road map might help the other undecided people.  I must admit though with WebGL getting ever closer I'm also a bit worried about the future of this project.  Some kind of tie-up with gwtgl might be in order.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wurm Online drops JOGL support

gouessej
Administrator
WebGL won't be supported by MSIE this year, maybe in 2012 or 2013. Therefore, it is not the way to go now. Moreover, JavaScript is still noticeably slower. Therefore, HTML5 + JavaScript + WebGL is a good solution but it won't fit in any projects, JOGL is still the best option on my view especially with NEWT and an AWT-less plugin in Java 1.7 that starts in less than 1 second :) Java rocks.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website