classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

enabling quad-buffered stereo on already existing GLCanvas

stepasite
Hi,

I would like to enable quad-buffered rendering on already existing GLCanvas that was created with GLCapabilites that do not support it (caps.setStereo(false)). Is there any way to enable stereo on such object (e.g. by replacing some underlying layer, respecifying GLCapabilities, etc.)? Or is the only way to create new GLCanvas with new GLCapabilities that support stereo (caps.setStereo(true))?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Pavel
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: enabling quad-buffered stereo on already existing GLCanvas

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

As far as I know, you have to create another GLCanvas to enable stereo. It's not a typical limitation of JOGL, I had to do the same with GLUT. I'm not sure that you could enable it always but use it only when you really want to, feel free to give it a try.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

stepasite
Hi Julien,

thanks for the reply, it really seems to be the only way.

I am also wondering whether creating a dummy offscreen drawable with stereo capabilities can be used for checking stereo capabilities of given graphics hardware/driver before creating a GLCanvas.

It works with my graphics card/driver so I suppose it should be true in general. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
Pavel
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Actually, OpenGL quad buffer stereo has been supported very early since OpenGL 1.0. If stereo is absolutely necessary for your application, look at the capabilities chooser, request a capability supporting stereo and if the returned capability doesn't, just stop trying to go further. Using a drawable just to test its support is a bit too much in my humble opinion. I don't remember how we handle that in Ardor3D and Java3D.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website