classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jogl test doesn't run on MacBook

Dave
Hi,

this is maybe a newbie question, but I have a standard MacBook Pro, running the latest OSX (10.11 El Capitan). I thought in my naiveté that I could just download the latest stable release (2.3.2) of jogamp-all-platforms.7z, and at least run the etc/test.sh, but it fails.

I can see that some sort of Java app opens, and the icon changes in the Dock, but then it just dies. According to the logs it seems to find some OpenGL 4 support on the machine:

GLProfiles on device MacOSXGraphicsDevice[type .macosx, connection decon, unitID 0, handle 0x0, owner false, NullToolkitLock[obj 0x6df97b55]]
        Natives
                GL4bc false
                GL4 true [4.1 (Core profile, arb, compat[ES2, ES3], FBO, hardware)]
                GLES3 false
                GL3bc false
                GL3 true [4.1 (Core profile, arb, compat[ES2, ES3], FBO, hardware)]
                GL2 true [2.1 (Compat profile, arb, compat[], FBO, hardware)]
                GLES2 false
                GLES1 false
                Count 3 / 8
        Common
                GL4ES3 true
                GL2GL3 true
                GL2ES2 true
                GL2ES1 true
        Mappings
                GL2ES1 GLProfile[GL2ES1/GL2.hw]
                GL4ES3 GLProfile[GL4ES3/GL4.hw]
                GL2ES2 GLProfile[GL2ES2/GL4.hw]
                GL2 GLProfile[GL2/GL2.hw]
                GL4 GLProfile[GL4/GL4.hw]
                GL3 GLProfile[GL3/GL4.hw]
                GL2GL3 GLProfile[GL2GL3/GL4.hw]
                default GLProfile[GL2/GL2.hw]
                Count 7 / 12

Desktop Capabilities:
        none

EGL Capabilities:
        none

When I run test_dbg.sh, I also get a lot of messages. The only things that caught my eye was that there were many log entries of the form:
DynamicLinkerImpl.lookupSymbol(0x7fff6d6f9fd0, glFramebufferTextureMultiviewOVRARB) -> 0x0
Lookup-Native: <glFramebufferTextureMultiviewOVRARB> ** FAILED ** in libs [NativeLibrary[MacOSXDynamicLinkerImpl, /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries/libGL.dylib, 0x7fff6d6f9fd0, global true]]

Any ideas of what's wrong?

//Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: jogl test doesn't run on MacBook

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Do you use Apple JRE, Oracle Java or OpenJDK? I remind you that Apple JRE is obsolete. Please provide the full logs.

jmaasing succeeded in running JOGL under OS X 10.10 and maybe 10.11 too. It should work.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dave
There's a limitation on what directory you can run test.sh from, too (though I forget where the right place is) -- check the script to see. I know JOGL works on OSX 10.11 with the Oracle JRE 8, because I've run it myself recently, though I used Java programs instead of trying to run test.sh.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Thank you for confirming it works under OS X 10.11 :)
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave
Thanks for a quick reply :-) I'm using Oracle Java, 1.8.0_77, and I was running it from ~/Downloads/jogamp-all-platforms (just unzipped it right where it landed).

The [small] log file looks like this:

test.log

grep:ing the log file I think I found the problem: some files seem to be missing.

NativeLibrary.open(global true): Trying to load /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libEGL.dylib
DynamicLinkerImpl.openLibraryGlobal "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libEGL.dylib" failed, error: dlopen(/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libEGL.dylib, 9): image not found

etc.

I just downloaded the latest jdk from Oracle, I guess that I need something more, or something else?
Reply | Threaded
|

Xerxes Rånby
I would like to point out that what you see when you run the test application IS expected functionality.

The test application creates a windows then uses that window to check what your OpenGL driver support and then it closes.

The reason you get failed for glFramebufferTextureMultiviewOVRARB is because this is a function only guaranteed to be found in OpenGL 4.5 systems and you have a OpenGL 4 system where this is optional.

All good!

2016-07-10 11:36 GMT+02:00 Dave [via jogamp] <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

this is maybe a newbie question, but I have a standard MacBook Pro, running the latest OSX (10.11 El Capitan). I thought in my naiveté that I could just download the latest stable release (2.3.2) of jogamp-all-platforms.7z, and at least run the etc/test.sh, but it fails.

I can see that some sort of Java app opens, and the icon changes in the Dock, but then it just dies. According to the logs it seems to find some OpenGL 4 support on the machine:

GLProfiles on device MacOSXGraphicsDevice[type .macosx, connection decon, unitID 0, handle 0x0, owner false, NullToolkitLock[obj 0x6df97b55]]
        Natives
                GL4bc false
                GL4 true [4.1 (Core profile, arb, compat[ES2, ES3], FBO, hardware)]
                GLES3 false
                GL3bc false
                GL3 true [4.1 (Core profile, arb, compat[ES2, ES3], FBO, hardware)]
                GL2 true [2.1 (Compat profile, arb, compat[], FBO, hardware)]
                GLES2 false
                GLES1 false
                Count 3 / 8
        Common
                GL4ES3 true
                GL2GL3 true
                GL2ES2 true
                GL2ES1 true
        Mappings
                GL2ES1 GLProfile[GL2ES1/GL2.hw]
                GL4ES3 GLProfile[GL4ES3/GL4.hw]
                GL2ES2 GLProfile[GL2ES2/GL4.hw]
                GL2 GLProfile[GL2/GL2.hw]
                GL4 GLProfile[GL4/GL4.hw]
                GL3 GLProfile[GL3/GL4.hw]
                GL2GL3 GLProfile[GL2GL3/GL4.hw]
                default GLProfile[GL2/GL2.hw]
                Count 7 / 12

Desktop Capabilities:
        none

EGL Capabilities:
        none

When I run test_dbg.sh, I also get a lot of messages. The only things that caught my eye was that there were many log entries of the form:
DynamicLinkerImpl.lookupSymbol(0x7fff6d6f9fd0, glFramebufferTextureMultiviewOVRARB) -> 0x0
Lookup-Native: <glFramebufferTextureMultiviewOVRARB> ** FAILED ** in libs [NativeLibrary[MacOSXDynamicLinkerImpl, /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries/libGL.dylib, 0x7fff6d6f9fd0, global true]]

Any ideas of what's wrong?

//Dave

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.jogamp.org/jogl-test-doesn-t-run-on-MacBook-tp4036901.html
To start a new topic under jogl, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
I reconfirmed that it works just now, to make sure I wasn't crazy before :) On OS X 10.11.5 (Late 2010 MacBook Air), using Oracle Java 1.8.0_65, I downloaded version 2.3.2 of jogamp-all-platforms.7z, unzipped it, did chmod +x etc/test.sh, then ./etc/test.sh, and it works as expected.

As Xerxes says, the expected output is rather short -- it's just checking that OpenGL is accessible and printing information about the capabilities it finds. You'll need to run one of the demo programs to see more substantial output.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave
Ah, ok, I thought something more would happen when running the test.sh. After some trial and horror I got most of the demos running in an eclipse project, so I guess it seems to work, more or less.

I think it would be a good idea to flesh out the docs a bit more as to what to expect when running test.sh and how to run the demos as simply as possible, from the binaries in the zip-files, without setting up projects, using git and so on.

And it wouldn't hurt if the test.sh actually had some kind of graphical hello-world splash screen or something, there was very little feedback and not obvious that things were working as they should...

But thanks a lot!//D