multithreading

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

multithreading

Evert B
If I understand things correctly, JOGL uses a single thread to do all rendering, and currently this is the AWT event queue thread (I'm still using 2.0-beta10 so this may no longer be true - I should probably upgrade...). This thread is also responsible for handling mouse and keyboard input (and all other AWT events). So the "quality"/timeliness/accuracy of these events is probably going to be easily affected by the amount of rendering you need to do. Especially if e.g. you want to know exactly when a certain key was pressed in order to perform an accurate simulation (as much as possible).

What do other people think about this?

Would it be a good idea to put GL rendering onto a separate thread, or is there a good reason why this is the same thread as AWT? And how would this be accomplished, since the setRenderingThread API has long been removed?

Thanks for any feedback & best regards!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: multithreading

Michael Bien
you are basically right about AWT. I recommend reading the wiki about the different ways of doing multi-threading.
esp. the "Why using Foo for high performance is not a good idea " sections :)

start here:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Jogl_FAQ#What_is_Newt.27s_Threading_Model_for_native_window_events_.3F

On AWT we are fairly constraind regarding MT thats right. (this area is still in development, we experiment with different locking techniques)

regards,
michael

On 06/27/2010 07:47 PM, Evert B [via jogamp] wrote:
If I understand things correctly, JOGL uses a single thread to do all rendering, and currently this is webstartthe AWT event queue thread (I'm still using 2.0-beta10 so this may no longer be true - I should probably upgrade...). This thread is also responsible for handling mouse and keyboard input (and all other AWT events). So the "quality"/timeliness/accuracy of these events is probably going to be easily affected by the amount of rendering you need to do. Especially if e.g. you want to know exactly when a certain key was pressed in order to perform an accurate simulation (as much as possible).

What do other people think about this?

Would it be a good idea to put GL rendering onto a separate thread, or is there a good reason why this is the same thread as AWT? And how would this be accomplished, since the setRenderingThread API has long been removed?

Thanks for any feedback & best regards!

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/multithreading-tp925981p925981.html
To start a new topic under jogamp, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Evert B
Thanks but I have a hard time understanding that stuff mainly because I have no idea what this NEWT is? I see it's name all over the place but I failed to find a clear high-level explanation about what it is and why it should be used (because it is optional right?). Sorry if I missed something obvious...
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Bien
NEWT is kind of a minimal windowing toolkit. If you want to draw a OpenGL window without any controls ... this might be interesting for you.

-michael

On 06/28/2010 04:17 PM, Evert B [via jogamp] wrote:
Thanks but I have a hard time understanding that stuff mainly because I have no idea what this NEWT is? I see it's name all over the place but I failed to find a clear high-level explanation about what it is and why it should be used (because it is optional right?). Sorry if I missed something obvious...

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/multithreading-tp925981p927900.html

-- 
http://michael-bien.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On Thursday, July 01, 2010 23:15:57 Michael Bien [via jogamp] wrote:
>
> NEWT is kind of a minimal windowing toolkit. If you want to draw a
> OpenGL window without any controls ... this might be interesting for you.
>
> -michael

Soon a NEWT/AWT layer will be stable, allowing you to have a
native NEWT window acting as a child window of it's AWT Canvas native peer.

This 'adventurous' solution allows you to free yourself from the
AWT multithreading constraints (using awtLock, run on AWT-EDT, ..),
hence you can run your GL animation smoothly while doing other things
including AWT input.

~Sven

>
> On 06/28/2010 04:17 PM, Evert B [via jogamp] wrote:
> > Thanks but I have a hard time understanding that stuff mainly because
> > I have no idea what this NEWT is? I see it's name all over the place
> > but I failed to find a clear high-level explanation about what it is
> > and why it should be used (because it is optional right?). Sorry if I
> > missed something obvious...
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
|

BrentSharrow
Is there any estimated time frame/update on when this NEWT/AWT layer will be stable?
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: multithreading

Rami Santina
Administrator

Currently im using it in our application…which is up and running…. The best way to guarantee that is to start using it and file bug reports if any J

There are some issues with the macosx impl but these will be solved soon I guess.

Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:26 PM
To: Rami Santina
Subject: Re: multithreading

Is there any estimated time frame/update on when this NEWT/AWT layer will be stable?

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/multithreading-tp925981p1151052.html