> Sven Gothel wrote
> @Mark: Thank you for summarizing this task, I agree in all points of course.
> @Elect: Maybe you can test importing the nabble DB into simplemachines.org,
> ensuring preserved URIs.
> If you need the DB dump, pls send me a private email
> and I will give you an URI for it.
> Mark already once tested importing as you can read in the IRC log.
> Ok, I need to know first how is the current situation,
> where is hosted now the the forum?
our forum is currently hosted at Nabble
> How much does it cost?
- Nabble services: zero, but they earn money w/ advertisement.
- For us in general:
Quite a lot, actually:
- we need to trust them dealing with our valuable forum communication
- allow them to track posts, identities and earning money via ads
If we switch, our costs will be:
- maintenance of another service (long term)
- establish forum/mailinglist solution (one time)
I added you as well to
I personally would prefer Mark driving the task for now,
while we assist.
If it is not possible to migrate the old DB in a reasonable time,
we may simply add references and host the new forum on a new subdomain,
as Mark suggested.