7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3DS max Exporter

Dvir
Hello

My English is not native.

I searched for this issue in the forum but did not find.
Is there an exporter from 3DS max to opengl so I can use the exported models with JOGL?

If there is not, there is other Model and animation exporters from other 3D software suh as Maya or Blender etc?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3DS max Exporter

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
3dsmax has a buildin exporter to Wavefront .obj file format. Its an easily readable ASCII model/scene format. To get it running into JOGL u could use my WavefrontObjectLoader.java or use any other .obj->jogl loader (there are half a dozent out there).

Other than that I would suggest using Blender for ur OpenGL modeling. Its much more open and u find a lot more tutorials and help (or even code snippets) on the net.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dvir
As always, Thanks a lot for the information.

Dvir
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Bien
In reply to this post by Demoscene Passivist
i used in past wings3d. it is very easy to use (mouse only) even for chronical non-artists like me.
(but its geometry + uv only)

-michael

On 11/28/2010 12:31 PM, Demoscene Passivist [via jogamp] wrote:
3dsmax has a buildin exporter to Wavefront .obj file format. Its an easily readable ASCII model/scene format. To get it running into JOGL u could use my WavefrontObjectLoader.java or use any other .obj->jogl loader (there are half a dozent out there).

Other than that I would suggest using Blender for ur OpenGL modeling. Its much more open and u find a lot more tutorials and help (or even code snippets) on the net.

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/3DS-max-Exporter-tp1980790p1980998.html
To start a new topic under jogamp, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.

-- 
http://michael-bien.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

GraphicsNoob
In reply to this post by Demoscene Passivist
I'm kind of a noob to JOGL, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have exported a model to obj format and tried using your WavefrontObjectLoader.java, but after several hours of tweaking I am still getting an index out of bounds in the ConstructTNV() method at:

"tcoords[tloop] = ((float[]) vtData.get(t[iloop] - 1))[tloop]"

It would appear that every model I try to load, at some point t[iloop] - 1 resolves to '-1', throwing this exception.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is this an issue you have had before?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
I don't know the internals of the 3dsmax .obj exporter, but usually u have to "triangulate" the model during/before export to make it a valid wavefront mesh with multiples of 3 (or 4) as vertex count.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by GraphicsNoob
Hi!

Have you tried to import your model in OBJ format in another modeler just to check if the export was fine?

Do you get the same result with the importer inside JOGL utils? I use Ardor3D, an engine relying on JOGL to import OBJ, MD2 and Collada models, it works quite fine.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website