Ardor3D model exporter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ardor3D model exporter

runiter
I've used Ardor3D collada importer before, but I noticed it can't seem to export.
Is there a way to export Ardor3D scenes to any popular 3D file format such as STL, Collada or Obj?

There seems to be Obj exporter available but it can only export meshes and not the entire scene hierarchy.
Saeid Nourian, Ph.D. Eng. | Graphing Calculator 3D
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ardor3D model exporter

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I've moved your post to the section about JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation.

There is already a bug report about that:
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/issues/26

I'm aware of this limitation. If you succeed in implementing the node flattening, you'll be able to use the OBJ exporter for more complicated scenes. Thank you for the reminder anyway, it helps me to know what to prioritize.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

runiter
Thanks for the reply gouessej.

I guess I could use Java3D's OBJ exporter as a reference on how to flatten a scene:

http://sweethome3d.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sweethome3d/SweetHome3D/src/com/eteks/sweethome3d/j3d/OBJWriter.java?view=markup

what do you think?

In your issue, you mentioned collada exporter is difficult. Curious, why is that? Since collada has a nice complete importer I assumed the exporter would be similar to importer.
Saeid Nourian, Ph.D. Eng. | Graphing Calculator 3D
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

jReality and SweetHome3D are able to flatten nodes but as their source code is under GPL, I cannot use them in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation (even though I encourage people to use the GPL in general).

The Collada importer supports a wide range of features, I assume that writing an exporter for this format will be less trivial than it was for the WaveFront OBJ format. I remind you that the last importer I wrote required between 7 and 14 days of (full-time) work.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website