classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug #1431 - NewtCanvasAWT broken: Resize not working

Yodoga
Hi,

With version 2.4.0 (still existing in 2.5.0) came a new error/bug. A bug ticket was already raised in march 2023 by someone else (bug number 1431).

Unfortunately the bug is not yet confirmed.

I have the same problem. I can confirm the problem with the example code attached in the bug report and in our real world application as well.

To make it short: The NewtCanvasAWT in a Linux enviroment is not resizeable. If you change the size of the window/canvas the rendering stops.
From my perspective it's a show stopper. Jogl is broken (with NewtCanvasAWT under Linux).
I'm only saying this so clearly because I have the feeling that the relevance of the bug has been underrated so far.

I tried to locate the bug, but I failed. The debug messages gave no hint to me. I think the parenting lost during/after the resize.

There is a kind of workaround, but it's very ugly: Add a resize listener to the frame and in every resize event remove and add the NewtCanvasAWT from/to the component.
You can shorten that by calling only removeNotify and addNotify in the NewtCanvasAWT component. But this isn't a proper solution.

I also noticed that rendering in a multi-monitor environment works again after moving the window to another monitor (but only until the next resize). I think it's because of the the calls of removeNotify/addNotify which are caused by the monitor device change.

I know that time/attention is a valuable commodity in an open source project. Hence I can offer support for fixing the bug. But I would need a hint what/where is the problem.

Details of my environment: Rocky Linux 8, nvidia GPU, JDK 8/11/17
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bug #1431 - NewtCanvasAWT broken: Resize not working

Sven Gothel
Administrator
Thank you and foremost thx to crougier
for submitting https://jogamp.org/bugzilla//show_bug.cgi?id=1431

I have raised its priority, might be related to late HiDPI changes.

Yodoga, is the bug description sufficient or do you have another test case?
If so, please send me a PM (private email), get a bugzilla account and add such info.
Thank you.

It will be done .. and I agree, we can't tolerate an issue with anything NEWT.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yodoga
Sven Gothel wrote
Yodoga, is the bug description sufficient or do you have another test case?
The provided test case in the bug ticket is very good - gets right to the point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sven Gothel
Bug 1431 is resolved