Can i use JOGL for producing a commercial videogame?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can i use JOGL for producing a commercial videogame?

Awaawa2
(Note: please excuse me if i have any spelling or grammar mistakes, English isn't my native language)

Hello, i wish whoever is reading this a great day, and now i'll get to the point.

I want to make a videogame i can sell without having to pay anything for development tools, hence i'm looking for Open source stuff, and things that i can use for commercial production for free. so far i got most things that i need, but i wanted to know if i could use JOGL for this purpose. and if i do can use JOGL for free for commercial production of a Videogame, then what do i exactly have to do to be able to use it and not get in any legal trouble?

i've seen another post asking this but it is quite old and i didn't understood clearly what i have to do. so, if anyone can explain to me what stuff do i have to add to my game to be able to sell it while using JOGL to develop it, i would be grateful about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can i use JOGL for producing a commercial videogame?

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

English isn't my mother tongue, I'm in the same situation.

"open source" doesn't mean "free of charge" but of course, you can use JOGL for commercial stuff without having to pay anything. JOGL uses a very permissive license, don't worry about that. Does it answer your question?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Awaawa2
Thank you for your reply, and it mostly does, but i also wanted to know about this:

in the old post i looked at it said that i should show JOGL's licensing or place a link to it to be free to use JOGL. so i wanted to know if i have to do so, and what exactly do i have to show in case i have to?

(edited for orthography corrections)
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Awaawa2
Yes, you can 'exploit' / use the project in your commercial stuff fully legally.

In the past, we also passed two IP audits, one by Siemens and one by the Eclipse foundation.

As Julien pointed out, read the LICENSE file attached in the project, BSD 'style' License.