classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Current JOGL-download based on Java 8?

VideMalban
Hi,
I distribute a program package with "native packaging", which includes Java 1.8.
It works great and my thought is "never to change a running system" - I tried some time ago to switch to a newer Java version - but I kept running into different kinds of trouble ... so I concluded I would use 1.8 till ... well forever for that software.

Due to Java being to OS indepeneded (haha) - I support Windows, OSX, Linux etc.

With the latest Mac OSX version (Ventura), the usage of JOGL (my old JOGL version that is) is not possible any longer.

I read up on the trouble and it seems to be fixed in the current JOGL versions - but I discovered these need at least JAVA 11 - otherwise the Java Compiler will not even run!

Question:
Is there a downloadable version of the current JOGL implementation based on Java 8?

If not:

Would it be possible to build such a version using an old JDK - or does it use features of newer Java versions?

Thx
Malban
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current JOGL-download based on Java 8?

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

I understand that some changes occurred since Java 9 are a bit painful but sticking to an obsolete version of Java is a very bad idea in terms of security and stability too as you don't benefit of many bug fixes that won't be backported into Java 8. Moreover, you'll end up with a JRE not working on recent operating systems anyway, it's not worth it.

There is no such version, you can try to modify JOGL at your own risk to make it work with Java 8 but you'll probably fail even though there isn't a huge dependency on features unavailable in Java 8, you might have some troubles with bugs still in Java 8 and fixed in Java 9 or only in commercial builds of Java 8 (with very restrictive licenses).

I have a "better" solution for you, tell me what doesn't work and let me help you to make it work with Java 11 (and even preferably Java 17 which is the latest LTS version, Java 21 being the next one). You can use a more recent version of "native packaging" anyway. Don't forget to use some "--add-opens" clauses, disable HiDPI if you're not happy with it and it should work. By the way, jpackage works much better since Java 14.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Current JOGL-download based on Java 8?

Sven Gothel
Administrator
Its not so easy .. :)

Our source tree is actually Java8 API compatible,
while we do build using (now) Java17 with an injected Java8 RT.

See text in this little file here.

However, as Julien mentioned, we might not have a suitable Java thing on certain platforms like MacOS.
So we can't test and may even inject native library dependencies to a native Java lib (AWT?) here.

Bottom line, it needs extra care and work to produce a Java8 compatible beast _and_ test it.
So far, I got confirmation on Windows and Linux that our last 2.4.0 build works with Java8.
MacOS might differ ...