classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incorrect context on GLCanvas drawable

lucas.gandel
Hello,

We confirm the Java wrapping of VTK is also impacted by this behavior.
We reproduce the problem described in this post with all the Windows+Nvidia configurations we tried.
Here is our findings in case it helps:

The best workaround we have so far is to turn on the nopixfmt option: sun.awt.nopixfmt=true.
This way we always get a single configuration returned and the expected OpenGL version is used.

Looking at the Win32GraphicsDevice source code, the number of configurations returned as well as the value of the default configuration depends on the default pixel format id.

Maybe using nopixfmt has influence on the default pixel format ID and results in the expected configuration being picked?
Or maybe it has influence on the isDefaultDevice check at the start of getConfigurations()?

Hope this helps,

Best,
Lucas Gandel
Reply | Threaded
|

Martin
Thanks Lucas, I confirm this works.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Yes,

this workaround works for me as well, but in my opinion it would be in any case important to understand why JOGL is creating the incorrect GLContext in GLCanvas when multiple DisplayConfiguration's are returned and GraphicsDevice.getConfigurations() is called.

If there is indeed a defect in JOGL, I believe it would be preferable to fix it rather than relying on a workaround, which by the way may not be viable for everyone (e.g., for applications which indeed need the multiple "separate" GraphicsConfigurations).

Regards and thanks for your time investigating on this issue.

Marco
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I'll see what I can do in the little spare time I have.

I thank Lucas for his suggestion.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi all.
Do you know if there has been some progress in JOGL w.r.t. the topic and issue that I reported in this thread last year?

BTW, can you point me to where I could download the latest JOGL build?

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin
Reply | Threaded
|

Martin
Hi Marco,

No progress on that point. However I have patched the latest Sven release to include binaries to work on Apple M1. You can read about it here, you will find download links.

I have been able to run VTK with it.

Best,

Martin
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi Martin,

and thanks for the reply.

OK, so it looks like my report within this thread corresponds with issue #24 on this web page:

https://github.com/jzy3d/jogl/issues

Any chance of seeing this fixed in the near future in JOGL?

The suggested workaround of setting "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true" works 99% of the times for me, but sometimes causes JOGL to crash anyway, with some specific graphics cards / display drivers.

For instance, today I dealt with a Win 10 PC having an NVIDIA Quadro K600 graphics adapter and running the latest compatible NVIDIA display driver, and my JOGL-based canvas (VTK's vtkJoglCanvasComponent, based on GLCanvas) caused a JVM crash as soon as the canvas was displayed in my application.

This PC actually had 2 graphics adapters connected to 3 monitors:

* Basic embedded graphics adapter connected to standard PC monitor (Screen 1)
* NVIDIA Quadro K600 connected to 2 medical displays (Screen 2 and Screen 3, EIZO 3 megapixels displays)

My application was running on the medical displays, and the container panels in turn containing VTK's vtkJoglCanvasComponent were indeed using a GraphicsConfiguration related to the NVIDIA Quadro K600 adapter.

On the other side, a very similar PC with the same monitor configuration, but using an NVIDIA Quadro K2000 adapter, was running fine with no crashes with my Java + VTK + JOGL application (always specifying "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true").

Maybe, if this issue is fixed "at the root" in JOGL, I could avoid adopting the "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true" workaround, and my application wouldn't crash also on such hardware configurations.

In case a financial contribution could help somehow in fixing this issue faster, I will be glad to consider it.

Thanks and regards,

Marco Sambin
Reply | Threaded
|

Martin
Hi Marco,

Yes, I centralize on this repository clones all bugs and potential workaround and hence copy part of this conversation with Lucas's hint.

I unfortunatelly won't be available for a while to work on this topics.

About your problem : I once worked with people encountering crashes with NVidia QUADRO devices. Without real understanding of the root cause, we have been able to avoid the problem by removing an install of MESA from the path on this computer.

A more precise exception can be read here : https://github.com/jzy3d/jogl/issues/13

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by MarcoNL
Sorry but the issue fixed at the root often means it has to be fixed in the driver itself, we're not responsible for that. I already spent weeks in working around some driver bugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi Julien,

thanks for your feedback.

If you are 100% confident that this issue corresponds with a bug in the NVIDIA driver, then I fully understand and agree.

However, the fact that whenever GraphicsDevice.getConfigurations() returns multiple GraphicsConfigurations (which is fully legal, and happens when I set "-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true" with all NVIDIA adapters / drivers that I've tested), a single call to GraphicsDevice.getConfigurations() causes GLCanvas to pick an OpenGL 1.1 context seems weird to me.

However, I do not know the details of how the profile selection works in GLCanvas.
So, if you JOGL experts are confident this is a driver issue, then I understand.

Best regards,

Marco Sambin
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Thank you for the complementary information, the symptom looks like something I have already seen with a very different hardware. Please can you post the full debug logs somewhere?

Please don't write "the latest", give me the exact version number of the driver.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by MarcoNL
Have you ever tried to disable OpenGLES? There is a flag to do that in JOGL.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi Julien,

thank you for your message.

I've just run my test case "vtk.sample.rendering.JoglContextTestCase" (which was included in this Thread) on my development machine (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB, dual screen), and setting "-Djogl.disable.opengles=true" doesn't make any difference: an OpenGL 1.1 profile is used by GLCanvas. Here is the output of my test case with this property set:

Screen device # 0: \Display0
Screen device # 0, configuration # 0:
Screen device # 0, configuration # 1:
Screen device # 0, configuration # 2:
Screen device # 0, configuration # 3:
Screen device # 0, configuration # 4:
Screen device # 0, configuration # 5:
Screen device # 1: \Display1
Screen device # 1, configuration # 0:
Screen device # 1, configuration # 1:
Screen device # 1, configuration # 2:
Screen device # 1, configuration # 3:
Screen device # 1, configuration # 4:
Screen device # 1, configuration # 5:
NewFrame created in thread [16], isEDT: true
* Context GL version: 1.1 (Compat profile, arb, compat[], FBO, hardware) - 1.1.0

Again, the only way to make it work on my PC, and on many other NVIDIA-powered PCs that I've tested, is to set the "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true" system property. At that point, the output of my "vtk.sample.rendering.JoglContextTestCase" test case is:

Screen device # 0: \Display0
Screen device # 0, configuration # 0:
Screen device # 1: \Display1
Screen device # 1, configuration # 0:
NewFrame created in thread [16], isEDT: true
* Context GL version: 4.6 (Compat profile, arb, compat[ES2, ES3, ES31, ES32], FBO, hardware) - 4.6.0 NVIDIA 512.15

However, this setting seems to cause other NVIDIA adapters (namely, Quadro K600) to crash.

Best regards,

Marco Sambin

Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
In reply to this post by gouessej
Hi Julien,

this afternoon I should be able to connect to another PC having a couple of on "NVIDIA Quadro K600" adapters connected to two medical displays, which was crashing with JOGL, no matter the "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true" setting. Hopefully, I will be able to collect full JOGL debug information on that PC as well.

In the meanwhile, I've collected JOGL's debug logs on my development PC (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, NVIDIA driver version: 512.15, dual monitor) with my "vtk.sample.rendering.JoglContextTestCase" test case, without any "sun.awt.nopixfmt" system property, which is the situation in which my JOGL GLCanvas erroneously picks up an Open GL 1.1 profile:

JoglContextTestCaseDebugInfo.txt

I hope this can be useful in identifying the root cause for this faulty behavior.
Let me know if I can be of further help.

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi all,

as anticipated, I've been able to run our JOGL-based application (so, not the JoglContextTestCase test case, but our entire VTK-based JOGL-based application) on a system having two NVIDIA Quadro K600 adapters, each one connected to a 3MP medical display, and I am indeed obtaining a crash on that system.

However, for now I have no evidence that this crash is indeed connected with this issue of the incorrect Open GL context being selected - as discussed in this thread, so I prefer to open a different and brand-new thread about it.

I will post in that new thread all the debug info I've collected.

In the meanwhile, if someone has some feedback about the debug info that I've posted in this thread, I will be happy to listen.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Marco Sambin
Reply | Threaded
|

Martin
Hi Marco,

Another suggestion - sorry if it was already mentioned : have you tried using GLJPanel instead of GLCanvas?

VTK allows switching from one and the other with

vtkJoglCanvasComponent -> JOGL GLCanvas
vtkJoglPanelComponent -> JOGL GLJPanel

I have had some problem resolved by switching to the former in VTK, especially when willing to use HiDPI monitors.

Regards,

Martin
Reply | Threaded
|

MarcoNL
Hi Martin,

thanks for the suggestion.

Originally, I selected vtkJoglCanvasComponent for use in my application because, according to my tests, it was the one granting the best rendering performance as well as the best cross-platform compatibility (I managed to make it work fine on macOS as well).

However, I just modified my context test case in order to use the GLJPanel instead of GLCanvas:

JoglJPanelContextTestCase.java

In this case, without specifying any "-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true" system property, my "JoglJPanelContextTestCase" seems to pick up the correct OpenGL 4.6 context!

Do you have an explanation of the reason why JoglContextTestCase (using GLCanvas) is picking up an erroneous Open GL 1.1 context, while JoglJPanelContextTestCase (using GLJPanel) is picking up the correct Open GL 4.6 context on my NVIDIA-powered development PC?

I would be really nice to understand (and eventually, correct) this behavior.

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin

Reply | Threaded
|

Martin
Hi Marco,

I have no explanation for the GLJPanel working better than GLCanvas.

What I can say is that GLCanvas is the historical JOGL canvas which -at least some years ago- was performing on-screen rendering and not able to have Swing components rendering on top of it. GLJPanel arrived later and looking at its source code you should see that it performs offscreen rendering using an FBOBuffer, hence allowing to simply display a BufferedImage in a canvas, hence dealing with Swing components rendered on top of it. Nothing relating to your problem but a different way of working :)

I agree that fixing this would be great. However I think a major locker on improving JOGL is the pain to build and test it on so many platforms. In 2022 there are new things in the JVM that could allow to only deal with Java code when trying to invoke native OpenGL instead of using JNI+Glugen native binding. In my opinion, simplifying the low level layers of JOGL first would help having more contributors working on it.

I have tried this here if you are interested. I believe switching to such binding would allow to only work with Java code in JOGL rather Java+C code making it so painful and time consuming to build!

Best,

Martin

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I'm impatient to see the logs :)

I agree with Martin, it would help in improving both NEWT and many aspects in the OpenGL profile management if we used Java as much as possible instead of C. Why not choosing a tiny part of JogAmp and trying to replace it by something written with Foreign Function & Memory API on at least one platform to see how it behaves? jogamp.nativewindow.windows.GDI? I'd like to give it a try for sure, the time has come.