J3D font problems on Ubuntu + OpenJDK

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

J3D font problems on Ubuntu + OpenJDK

LordSmoke
In another thread ("I don't understand ---> ./atomic/jogl-fonts-p0.jar") I was struggling with font problems on Ubuntu with OpenJDK. This was determined to be because the Ubuntu font was left out for now of the jogl fat jar I am using. I managed to get things in my JOGL programming working satisfactorily as described in that thread, but font problems (if they are font problems) in my J3D code are beyond my reach at this time. So, below is my environment info and the crash stack trace...

====
I develop on a OS X 10.14.3 and it all works fine there.

====
Netbeans: 8.2

JOGL: JOGL 2.3.2 fat jar linked to by Julien Feb 21, 2018
(https://sourceforge.net/p/tuer/code/1319/tree//pre_beta/lib/jogamp/jogamp-fat.jar?format=raw)

J3D: jars linked to by Harvey Jan 04, 2019 (same for j3d jars linked to by Julien here https://gouessej.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/java-3d-est-de-retour-java-3d-is-back/#installation)

====
program runs fine with Ubuntu 18.04.1 + Oracle Java 8

====
Ubuntu 18.04.1 + OpenJDK 8

---
java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_191"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-8u191-b12-2ubuntu0.18.04.1-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)

---
java -jar ./morpheus.jar
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
JOGL 2.3.3-pre-rc-1 detected...
Java3D detected...
***** polygon with only one vertex?! *****

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: TriangleArray: illegal vertexCount
        at javax.media.j3d.TriangleArray.<init>(TriangleArray.java:102)
        at com.sun.j3d.utils.geometry.GeometryInfo.getGeometryArray(GeometryInfo.java:2574)
        at com.sun.j3d.utils.geometry.GeometryServiceImpl.triangulateIslands(GeometryServiceImpl.java:32)
        at javax.media.j3d.Font3D.triangulateGlyphs(Font3D.java:473)
        at javax.media.j3d.Text3DRetained.updateCharacterData(Text3DRetained.java:700)
        at javax.media.j3d.Text3DRetained.setString(Text3DRetained.java:254)
        at javax.media.j3d.Text3D.<init>(Text3D.java:276)
        at morpheus_vis.MVis_Universe.createDefaultScene(MVis_Universe.java:343)
        at morpheus_vis.MVis_Universe.<init>(MVis_Universe.java:268)
        at morpheus_vis.MVis_Plotter.<init>(MVis_Plotter.java:183)
        at morpheus_vis.MVis_Panel.<init>(MVis_Panel.java:105)
        at morpheus_mainframe.Morpheus_splitTabbedMainFrame.<init>(Morpheus_splitTabbedMainFrame.java:94)
        at morpheus_00startup.Morpheus_startup.main(Morpheus_startup.java:61)

Any ideas? Suggestions? Fixes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: J3D font problems on Ubuntu + OpenJDK

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

I advise you to use the debug mode, maybe the loading of the font fails and it tries to build a triangle array with a vertex count that can't make triangles.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

LordSmoke
Will have to look at this when I get a chance. I had thought createDefaultScene was j3d, but it is my code and I see some font commands in there. Perhaps I can do some error detection or correction. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordSmoke
This post was updated on .
Drat! I thought I had some insight, then I let Ubuntu auto-update this am, now nothing works on any version of Java. Will have to check later.

[I deleted the error output. No need for anyone spending time looking at that until I get things systematically sorted at least.]