JOGL demo and other apps show only black canvas/window

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JOGL demo and other apps show only black canvas/window

Tzargoth
A few weeks ago I tried to use an Eclipse?/Java based app, but it's graphics rendering would not work.  The app developers were not able to help me.  Today, I downloaded the latest? JOGL demos from http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-current/archive/ and https://jogamp.org/deployment/webstart/jogl-demos/jar/, since I couldn't get the web start to work (error loading the jnpl files, "name cannot be null").

I ran the Gears demo from command line and get the same black canvas/window.  This isn't my code, so assuming this is a driver or JOGL issue.  However, my Linux system's video drivers are up to date, as far is I can tell.

System specs:
  Dell Precision M4600
  [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT]
  Xubuntu 16.04
  driver=radeon
  openjdk version "1.8.0_191"
  OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-8u191-b12-2ubuntu0.16.04.1-b12)
  OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)

Any ideas how to get rendering working?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JOGL demo and other apps show only black canvas/window

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

Webstart is dead anyway, it has been deprecated and removed in Java 11. Please try the latest nightly build. Does your system use Mesa? Please provide some detailed information:
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jogl_FAQ#Detailed_Bug_Information
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Tzargoth
Yes, I use mesa and set the appropriate environment variable to force the version:
#!/bin/sh
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.1
export CLASSPATH=/home/some_user/dev/jogl/demo/*
java demos.gears.Gears

There are no errors generated/shown (other than not working as intended).  Here is the console output:
$ ./gears.sh 
Gears: Init: AWT-GLCanvas[Realized true,
	jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11OnscreenGLXDrawable,
	Factory   jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory@35bd081e,
	handle    0x4c00021,
	Drawable size 298x273 surface[298x273],
	AWT[pos 1/26, size 298x273,
	visible true, displayable true, showing true,
	AWTGraphicsConfiguration[AWTGraphicsScreen[AWTGraphicsDevice[type .awt, connection :0.0, unitID 0, awtDevice X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0], handle 0x0], idx 0],
	chosen    GLCaps[glx vid 0x30f, fbc 0xb9: rgba 8/8/8/0, opaque, accum-rgba 0/0/0/0, dp/st/ms 24/0/0, dbl, mono  , hw, GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], on-scr[.]],
	requested GLCaps[rgba 8/8/8/0, opaque, accum-rgba 0/0/0/0, dp/st/ms 16/0/0, dbl, mono  , hw, GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], on-scr[.]],
	X11GraphicsConfig[dev=X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0],vis=0x30f],
	encapsulated X11GLXGraphicsConfiguration[X11GraphicsScreen[X11GraphicsDevice[type .x11, connection :0.0, unitID 0, handle 0x7feeb865bd80, owner true, JAWTToolkitLock[obj 0x2f7d1bea, isOwner true, <21479515, 6c53d966>[count 1, qsz 0, owner <AWT-EventQueue-0>]]], idx 0], visualID 0x30f, fbConfigID 0xb9,
	requested GLCaps[rgba 8/8/8/0, opaque, accum-rgba 0/0/0/0, dp/st/ms 16/0/0, dbl, mono  , hw, GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], on-scr[.]],
	chosen    GLCaps[glx vid 0x30f, fbc 0xb9: rgba 8/8/8/0, opaque, accum-rgba 0/0/0/0, dp/st/ms 24/0/0, dbl, mono  , hw, GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], on-scr[.]]]]]]
Chosen GLCapabilities: GLCaps[glx vid 0x30f, fbc 0xb9: rgba 8/8/8/0, opaque, accum-rgba 0/0/0/0, dp/st/ms 24/0/0, dbl, mono  , hw, GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], on-scr[.]]
INIT GL IS: jogamp.opengl.gl4.GL4bcImpl
GL_VENDOR: X.Org
GL_RENDERER: AMD TURKS (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-145-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
GL_VERSION: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
gear1 list created: 0
gear2 list created: 0
gear3 list created: 0
Gears: Reshape 0/0 298x273
... <resized the window many times> ...
Gears: Reshape 0/0 294x273
X11Util.Display: Shutdown (JVM shutdown: true, open (no close attempt): 1/1, reusable (open, marked uncloseable): 0, pending (open in creation order): 1)
X11Util: Open X11 Display Connections: 1
X11Util: Open[0]: NamedX11Display[:0.0, 0x7feeb865bd80, refCount 1, unCloseable false]

I will try the nightly build and let you know.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I'm absolutely sure that you're affected by a bug we fixed "recently" as you use Mesa 18 under GNU Linux. However, the symptom seems to be different. Does glxgears work on your machine?
Reply | Threaded
|

Tzargoth
In reply to this post by gouessej
SUCCESS!!

Using the latest nightly builds from http://jogamp.org/deployment/autobuilds/master/ (gluegen, jogl, jogl-demos) and removing
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.1
... from my script runs the Gears demo correctly.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  Now I can try to get the other application to work.

And, yes glxgears works correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You're welcome :)

This is this bug:
https://jogamp.org/bugzilla//show_bug.cgi?id=1357
Reply | Threaded
|

vlaaad
In reply to this post by gouessej
Amazing that it got fixed, when are you going to release a new version of jogl? We would like to have these improvements so our users won't have such problems in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
End of this month, the next release shall happen.

~Sven

On 5/16/19 3:52 PM, vlaaad [via jogamp] wrote:

> Amazing that it got fixed, when are you going to release a new version of
> jogl? We would like to have these improvements so our users won't have such
> problems in the future.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://forum.jogamp.org/JOGL-demo-and-other-apps-show-only-black-canvas-window-tp4039768p4039792.html
>
> To start a new topic under jogl, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from jogl, click here
> <
> NAML
> <
http://forum.jogamp.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

vlaaad
This is really great to hear! Woo!