JOGL question...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JOGL question...

bcothren
Hey guys, I've been trolling here for quite some time - I've gotten a lot of help here so I'd like to start off by saying thanks to all of you.  I'm developing a visualization tool for work and I've settled on using JOGL.  I've actually gotten most of it done but I've not been able to answer a question I've had since the beginning - is there a way to only redraw certain objects?

My project consists of about 90% static objects that, once rendered, really don't need to be redrawn ever again.  But, I also have a few objects that are animated.  I'd like to be able to draw the static objects once, then, as needed, animate the mobile objects.  Is this possible?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JOGL question...

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 19:16:40 bcothren [via jogamp] wrote:
>
> Hey guys, I've been trolling here for quite some time - I've gotten a lot of help here so I'd like to start off by saying thanks to all of you.  I'm developing a visualization tool for work and I've settled on using JOGL.  I've actually gotten most of it done but I've not been able to answer a question I've had since the beginning - is there a way to only redraw certain objects?
>
> My project consists of about 90% static objects that, once rendered, really don't need to be redrawn ever again.  But, I also have a few objects that are animated.  I'd like to be able to draw the static objects once, then, as needed, animate the mobile objects.  Is this possible?
>

try FBO's maybe ..

> Thanks.

~Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
In reply to this post by bcothren
U could draw the static objects once with Color+ZBuffer information to a FBO. To integrate the animated objects u could simply clone the Color+ZBuffer from the static objects to another FBO and draw ur animated Objects to that FBO. This would reduce the redraw of the static objects to a simple and fast copy/clone operation.
Reply | Threaded
|

bcothren
sounds good, i'll give this a try.

Thanks again.