classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JOGL texture size limit

tomek
Hi!

My question is simple: Why is texture1D size in jogl limited to 8192 (at least on my machine)

I read here: http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq/technical/texture.htm (21.130) that texture size is limited to GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE if hardware acceleration is turned off. But in my application, i have this line: capabilities.setHardwareAccelerated(true);

is this for something else or is there something i'm not getting?

please help

thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JOGL texture size limit

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
This "problem" is no issue of JOGL but rather of modern GPUs. 8192 pel is the current maximum texture size on nearly all up2date GPUs. Older GPUs even only support smaller texture size.

So I guess u have to live with this limitation or try to work around this problem with some custom tiling algorithm.

Try a programm like "CPU Caps Viewer" to get information about the actual limitations of ur GPU.
Reply | Threaded
|

tomek
but the opengl specs say this limit applies only when hardware acceleration is not available

i've seen many c++ projects use a considerably bigger texutres with no problem
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
>but the opengl specs say this limit applies only when hardware acceleration is not available

Sure, but as software fallback on modern OpenGL drivers from ATI and NVIDIA is nearly non existing the hardware limits are the defacto standard for texture size when using these drivers.

>i've seen many c++ projects use a considerably bigger texutres with no problem

U have a link to one of these programms ? Would be interesting to see how they workaround these limitations. Maybe they use some kind of custom tiling algorithm as I mentioned before ?
Reply | Threaded
|

tomek
sorry, I can't find any sample opengl project because i didn't bookmark any, but try googling adaptive shadow mapping and you'll see they propose shadow texture sizes of over 2048x2048 and noone suggests that should be any problem

Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
>but try googling adaptive shadow mapping and you'll see they propose shadow texture sizes of over 2048x2048 and noone suggests that should be any problem

With 2048x2048 there is sure no problem with any GPU as up2date hardware limit is 8129x8192 (as I stated before): "8192 pel is the current maximum texture size on nearly all up2date GPUs"
Reply | Threaded
|

tomek
ahaa
that was the problem... per dimension :)