Java3D 1.6.0-pre11 released

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Java3D 1.6.0-pre11 released

Manu
I just tried tried to bump the number of samples to 4 in JoglPipeline source code and the difference is not that much visible.  
So the regression must come from somewhere else. Could it be because I use a Retina display and some modifications would have been done on High Dpi displays too?
Emmanuel Puybaret
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
By default, the HiDpi is on. Harvey, do you modify the pixel scale in Java3D? When it's on, the window units and the pixel units differ. I have a very little experience with handling that correctly.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Manu
I tried also Java3D 1.6.0-pre11 on a non-Retina display and it showed the same regression on anti aliasing quality.
I don't mind to test more changes on JoglPipeline class, but please tell me which methods of GLCapabilities I should try to increase anti aliasing.
Emmanuel Puybaret
Reply | Threaded
|

Manu
Sometimes, I wonder if I'm right about antialisasing regression or not.
To avoid any misunderstanding, please give your opinion simply by comparing screen captures made with Java3D 1.6.0-pre10 and Java3D 1.6.0-pre11.
So, here are examples of the 3D view of Sweet Home 3D showing this example.

- With Java3D 1.6.0-pre10:
Screen capture made with Java3D 1.6.0-pre10

- With Java3D 1.6.0-pre11:
Screen capture made with Java3D 1.6.0-pre11

And now the differences for which I would like to read your comments :
Differences

The difference surrounded with blue seems to be an antialiasing issue whereas the ones surrounded with red seem to be bound to z-buffer management or the distance from the observer.
What do you think?
Emmanuel Puybaret
Reply | Threaded
|

Manu
After a few more tests, I found out that the regression in quality shown in my previous message seems to come both from a lower antialiasing quality and a smaller depth size. If, in the getBestConfiguration method of JoglPipeline class, I replace caps.setNumSamples(2) call by caps.setNumSamples(4) and caps.setDepthBits(gct.getDepthSize()) call by caps.setDepthBits(24), then I get similar results to Java3D 1.6.0-pre10.
I don't mind to keep caps.setNumSamples(2) call unchanged (the quality difference isn't huge compared to caps.setNumSamples(4)), but still, I wonder why caps.setDepthBits(16) call (16 is the default value returned by gct.getDepthSize()) leads to a different result under Mac OS X with Java3D 1.6.0-pre11. Was the requested value of gct.getDepthSize() not respected in 1.6.0-pre10, and the made modification now respects the requested value?
Can I set depth size to 24 or 32 without any risk that the 3D configuration fails? Should I call isGraphicsConfigSupported or just trust getBestConfiguration implementation?

Thanks for your suggestions
Emmanuel Puybaret
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Yes you can set the depth size to 24 but please never set it to 32 as it would lead to various problems under Windows.
Reply | Threaded
|

Manu
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the tip. I shall keep the depth size equal to 24 .
Harvey, do you have any idea why numSamples was set to 4 instead of 2 in previous version of Java 3D? Is it better to keep a value of 2 for compatibility or other reasons?
Emmanuel Puybaret
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
If you set it to 32 bits, JOGL will perhaps preferably pick the GDI renderer (OpenGL 1.1 emulated through Direct3D). The capabilities object you pass is an hint.