LeoLoL's Tutorials/Other help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LeoLoL's Tutorials/Other help

Incendiary
Hello, I'm very much a beginner. I know basic programming in a number of languages, and know slightly more in Java, I'm hoping to learn JOGL but finding information and tutorials on using the library has been difficult for me. I started with Justin's Getting Started tutorials, and I can make a moving triangle now, good first step, but then the rest of the tutorials I can find are a big step up from that, (and many outdated), I was thinking LeoLoL's tutorials would be a good step up, but they are missing. I was wondering if there was anyway currently to reach his tutorials (I don't necessarily need images or CSS)? Or if someone can recommend a different set of tutorials to step up between "Creating a Render Loop" and "First-Person Shoot"? Thanks a lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LeoLoL's Tutorials/Other help

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

LeoLoL has some hosting problems. I advise you to look at existing OpenGL tutorials in C/C++ even though they don't use JOGL, look at the red book. You can find tons of examples in jogl-demos, including the examples of the red book ported to JOGL 2. In my humble opinion, don't worry if you don't find tons of tutorials using JOGL 2, just use the tutorials in plain C and try to understand how we usually port them to JOGL.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Pixelapp
In reply to this post by Incendiary
Reply | Threaded
|

Incendiary
This post was updated on .
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I've been going through NeHe's stuff, it seems for the most part, at least for the simple stuff, the java equivalent is just with an extra gl. (past the environment) is this true later on as well?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Yes, it is the case most of the time. Platform-specific code can be replaced by some Java GUI code, OpenGL code is really easy to port, you just have to use the right profile and then the right GL interface.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Incendiary
Thanks for all your help, now, if you don't mind helping me more? Unfortunately I've been snagged on textures. I've been using a mix of Begging OpenGL Game Programming Second Edition by Luke Benstead and NeHe's tutorials posted here. Unfortunately, both are C and don't help me set up the Java environment for textures. I tried looking at Hock-Chuan Chua's Jogl version of NeHe's Lesson #6, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, (I believe it is outdated). I'm currently ordering the redbook, but that is C as well right? So that won't help me at this stage. I'll include the Java file in case someone wants to look at it and quickly tell me whats going wrong, because I'm unfamiliar with what exactly it's doing (but I understand that this may be more time consuming than just pointing me to a new place.)
JOGL2Nehe06Texture.java
Reply | Threaded
|

Pixelapp