9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for someone for the maintenance of Java3D

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

As you know, I'm responsible for engine support in the JogAmp community. As I have less spare time to spend in open source projects and as I think that Java3D deserves a dedicated maintainer actively using it in her/his own projects, I'm looking for a developer to develop and maintain Java3D more regularly than me.

In the meantime, I'll do my best but I won't be able to implement the new features, especially the OpenGL ES pipeline. I won't abandon Java3D users, I can't find enough time to do what has to be done for this scenegraph API but I'll always be here if something goes really wrong. Moreover, there is already a dedicated maintainer for LibGDX, I have realized that it's more efficient than having a single developer maintaining at least 3 JogAmp backends at the same time. Finally, as time goes by, I need much time to have a rest and to have a social life. I'm sure that I won't be available as much as now when I have to take care of my children (it's just an example), relying on several people is better than relying on a single one.

Best regards.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for someone for the maintenance of Java3D

philjord
Julien,

I would be happy to offer my services for this assignment, recently I've done a lot of work with Java3D and I'm hoping to continue to work with it, though the vagaries of emplyment may or may not allow me to.

The benefit I can bring if you decide to give it to me would be an intimate knowledge of Java3D (on windows and android ) and a host of minor bugs and their work arounds along with a stack of performance enhancements.

Until recently I knew very little of the pipeline, jogl and opengl, however I now have a working knowledge of all 3.

The downside of me being the maintainer would be I know nothing of jogamp coding and release standards, I also haven't work much in a distributed team so on both those fronts I expect I would need a lot of hand holding through the early code changes and releases to make sure I did it correctly.

I also don't have access to a Linux or MacOS machine so bug reproduction and release testing might be cumbersome.

As I understand it however you are not expecting to do more than a few maintence releases per year with no breaking API changes.

Thanks,
Phil

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

I'll always be available if you need some help. I suggest you to make pull requests against my repository and then I'll "fix" your stuff when it is necessary.

You can use a Live CD to work under GNU Linux but in my humble opinion, the platform-specific bugs are often rather in JOGL than in Java3D.

I just expect some small improvements in the return types thanks to Java 1.7. The biggest change is the ES pipeline.

I'll manage the releases if you want.

Thank you very much :)
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
In reply to this post by gouessej
gouessej wrote
I have realized that it's more efficient than having a single developer maintaining at least 3 JogAmp backends at the same time.

Hi Julien,

which are the 3 Jogamp backends?

Would you consider make an organization for java 3d?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Brian maintains the JOGL backend of LibGDX, Phil will maintain Java3D, I go on maintaining JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation, I'm still looking for someone to maintain the JOGL backend of JMonkeyEngine 3.

Java3D is managed by the JogAmp community, it's ok for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
gouessej wrote
Brian maintains the JOGL backend of LibGDX, Phil will maintain Java3D, I go on maintaining JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation, I'm still looking for someone to maintain the JOGL backend of JMonkeyEngine 3.

Java3D is managed by the JogAmp community, it's ok for me.
I'd then move Java3d and Ardor3d inside the jogamp community
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation and (JogAmp's) Java3D (Continuation) are already on the JogAmp development repository anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

elect
I meant on github
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Github is "just" a popular view on our projects. Having our own repositories is very important to me. We'll fix those things with Sven when he's available (and he suggested a patch recently, he's active).