Maven Central release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maven Central release

OSpanel
Would it be possible to release 2.5.x on Maven Central? The last release available there is 2.3.2 at the moment:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jogamp.jogl/jogl-all-main/2.3.2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Maven Central release

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

You can use JogAmp with Maven without Maven Central in the meantime as explained in the documentation:
https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php?title=Setting_up_a_JogAmp_project_in_your_favorite_IDE#Maven

It's just a matter of adding one repository, not a big deal, you can find the version 2.5.0 here:
https://jogamp.org/deployment/maven/org/jogamp/jogl/jogl-all-main/2.5.0/

Don't expect all third party libraries to be available on Maven Central.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

OSpanel
I am sorry, I have no intention to add a new resolver to be able to use a library. I will stay on 2.3.2 or remove jogamp support from my application.

> Don't expect all third party libraries to be available on Maven Central.

If the library does not want to be assumed to be a marginal one, then yes, I do expect it to be available there.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
OSpanel wrote
I am sorry, I have no intention to add a new resolver to be able to use a library. I will stay on 2.3.2 or remove jogamp support from my application.
Don't be sorry, you're free to make your own decisions in your projects. However, I have never spoken about adding a new resolver, I suggested to add a repository, that's how it's named in the official documentation. Some third party libraries aren't on Maven Central, it's not something fancy, some developers use Jitpack, Clojars and some organizations have their own Maven repositories, for example Atlassian, Google, Spring (for its snapshots), etc. Using other repositories isn't a bad practice as far as I know. It's even not rare to disable Maven Central in some corporate environments.

OSpanel wrote
> Don't expect all third party libraries to be available on Maven Central.

If the library does not want to be assumed to be a marginal one, then yes, I do expect it to be available there.
Not using Maven Central doesn't mean that a library is marginal, or you consider that some organizations I mentioned are marginal too. There are technical and non technical considerations behind such choices. Keep in mind that adding a repository consists in adding between one and five lines into a build file, I don't suggest you to do something time consuming and painful. There are probably some good reasons why it's supported in Maven and other build tools supporting Maven repositories. If using only one centralized Maven repository for absolutely all projects had no pitfall, this feature wouldn't exist, Maven maintainers have no time to waste with marginally used features.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by OSpanel
A maintainer or a contributor can push JogAmp into Maven Central, it's not up to me to decide, I wrote that we can live without that and I will do so.