Reenable windows-i586

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reenable windows-i586

breiler
Hi, thanks for your work on this library!

Is it possible to add the windows-i586 binaries back to the later builds? Windows 10 still comes in a 32-bit version and will reach its end of life on October 14, 2025.

What is the best way to sponsor this project?

Thanks,
Joacim Breiler

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Reenable windows-i586

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

You can contact Sven for commercial support:
https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Maintainer_and_Contacts#Sven_Gothel

In my humble opinion, it's the good option for what you ask.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
I had a little chat with Joacim, who also uses JogAmp for his open source project.

This + a few other request lead me to be consider re-adding windows-i586 with our next 2.6.0 build
IF the mingw64 toolchain can still be used (it should, I was been told).

However, I probably am not able to test it.
Hence we would depend on the users to test the release candidate.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I have no such machines :(
Reply | Threaded
|

hharrison
We removed the i586 build from jaamsim two releases ago when we finally upgraded our jogl version and usually have a few hundred downloads per week. We've only had one inquiry about the missing build in that time, and they were ok to just download a 64 bit JVM and upgrade their environment, nobody seems to be stuck on a 32-bit windows machine at least in our userbase.

Should a i586 version of jogl become available again, I'm not sure we would include it our not at this point.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

phantom-pavlova
In reply to this post by gouessej
i could send you a working 586 laptop (I have 5 left), if it would help, xp is challenging, w98 is fine and antix-23 works very well for linux. I am in france so post is not a problem
Reply | Threaded
|

phantom-pavlova
In reply to this post by hharrison
the thing is if you don't release i586 stuff, the i586 users silently go elsewhere
I for one would have a much easier life if you continued i566 releases (for ugs platform), but the alternative is python/C based stuff, which seems to have continued 586 support.
i personally am stuck on a (several) 32 bit machine (s)  (win or linux)
also, when a distro gathers is dependencies, it probably:
- does that maybe once per year  
- says nothing if it fails.

while I am here, maybe you could expand a bit the 'compiling from source' documtentaion, if it is in C I am fine,
 but java, I am completely lost.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
When we choose a minimum Java version with no 32-bit JRE available, those users will have to buy some new hardware. I still have a computer manufactured in 2008 somewhere at home, it has a 64-bit CPU. There are a very few people still using very obsolete machines with 32-bit CPUs, we're talking about hardware made several decades ago. I totally get that 32-bit support is still useful for a very few people but keep in mind that you're currently only postponing an inevitable change.
Reply | Threaded
|

phantom-pavlova
with respect,
- java is supposed to run on everything
- I have 5 ibm (t40) laptops built in 2004 that work just fine, why bin them
- I just bought 5 8-bit arduino uno's, which are supported by gcc
- if I could fathom how to (cross) compile jogl, I, or another dinosaur could release binaries on github, could you help me on that one.
xx
thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Yes it's supposed to run on everything but it doesn't, we don't live in an ideal world, going on supporting many architectures has a cost especially for Java itself, it's a matter of time. By the way, your laptops are already unable to run the latest version of Blender because it requires SSE2. I don't tell you to throw away some hardware that still works but you'll have to accept that some things will stop working. What will you do when some dependencies won't work with 32-bit architectures? You'll have to stick with obsolete versions. I don't want to encourage planned obsolescence, Sven will probably do its best to update the build instructions if needed but at some point, you might be almost alone with your problems. Computer science is a matter of compromises, maybe we'll have to choose between supporting very old hardware and using some recent APIs when it's not possible to do both at the same time.

Please can you be very accurate about which kind of cross-compilation you want? The -m32 flag allows to compile 32-bit programs on 64-bit platforms but you need the external dependencies as 32-bit libraries too. Sven probably knows such aspects better than me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
In reply to this post by phantom-pavlova
Thank you for the hardware offer,
but I don't want to test this target really .. alot to validate already ;-)

In theory I should be able to test it on a Windows 64bit machine.

+++

As I already stated, I will try to re-add this target for 2.6.0
and its pre-release would need to be tested by users (like you).

Hope that is OK.

Julien mentioned that OpenJDK etc may revoke this platform soon
(like MSFT in general) .. we may reconsider it again.
But until then .. let's see how things go.