classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retina support in OSX?

gouessej
Administrator
Don't worry with Java3D, it has tons of limitations that JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation doesn't have. Java3D can't work on a Raspberry Pi except with a full OpenGL 2 driver, it doesn't support OpenGL ES, there are still a few situations in which it simply crashes when creating the context, ...

I planned to fix the HiDPI support instead of disabling it by default but your suggestion makes sense.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 10/09/2015 12:54 AM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
> Don't worry with Java3D, it has tons of limitations that *JogAmp's* Ardor3D
> *Continuation* doesn't have. Java3D can't work on a Raspberry Pi except with a
> full OpenGL 2 driver, it doesn't support OpenGL ES, there are still a few
> situations in which it simply crashes when creating the context, ...
>
> I planned to fix the HiDPI support instead of disabling it by default but your
> suggestion makes sense.

And here I like to call out for commercial users
to support this effort, maybe runiter?

Maybe one can even think of tossing a few bucks to Julien for
some of these efforts. Dunno whats adequate here, maybe 4k EUR?

Just to do my job to remind commercial users
that such a thing is possible ofc.
  <https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Maintainer_and_Contacts>

~Sven

signature.asc (828 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I will implement Runiter's suggestion in about ten hours. If somebody really needs HiDPI support, I'll have to find a Retina screen.

Runiter, we can identify in which parts of the code we should use pixel units and in which parts we should use the window units, it would help to make it work.
Reply | Threaded
|

runiter
In reply to this post by Sven Gothel
Sven Gothel wrote
And here I like to call out for commercial users
to support this effort, maybe runiter?
I'd love to, but the company I work for is a non-profit company and their Ardor3D project (called Energy3D) is open-source. I might have been able to convince them to make a donation if they were still interested in Ardor3D, but unfortunately they decided to switch to WebGL technology for future projects mainly because there wasn't a clear way of running Ardor3D in both Android and iOS reliably.
Saeid Nourian, Ph.D. Eng. | Graphing Calculator 3D
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation dropped Android support and there has never been any plan of supporting iOS even in the "old" version of Ardor3D. WebGL doesn't support numerous graphics cards, it offers poor performance with lots of Intel drivers and it doesn't solve the problem with Android as it is very slow even on a very capable Samsung S3 4G LTE GT-i9305 but it's better than nothing.

I'll try to implement your suggestion tonight, sorry for the delay.
Reply | Threaded
|

runiter
You're right, the android and iOS performance of WebGL is pretty bad. But for some of our upcoming project it's important that we can demonstrate that it's "possible" to run it in those platforms. I myself preferred that we stick to Ardor3D/Jogl but I guess I wasn't convincing enough.

There is no rush in implementing my suggestion. I already used your work around suggestion and it works great. I merely made that suggestion so that other people who use your Ardor3D and JOGL libraries in future can avoid the headaches of searching for workaround. Thanks again to both of you for maintaining these great libraries :)
Saeid Nourian, Ph.D. Eng. | Graphing Calculator 3D
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You probably did your best, there is no plan to support iOS even though it is doable with RoboVM. JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation might work under Android as it supports OpenGL ES.

You're welcome.