Scaling text using TextRenderer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scaling text using TextRenderer

Qu0ll
Our application depends heavily on good text rendering and being able to do interesting things with that text.  I have tried to use TextRenderer to do text scaling but have not had much success.  We need to be able to do proper scaling of text such as just horizontal scaling or just vertical scaling or combinations of both but I can't see how I can use TextRenderer to do this.

How can I use Text Renderer to scale text?  I have tried setting the OpenGL scaling factor(s) immediately prior to rendering text and also by implementing a custom renderer delegate and doing the scaling using Java2D inside it but in both cases I end up with illegible, undesirable results.

Can this be done?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Scaling text using TextRenderer

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
As far as my personal experience with the TextRenderer class goes u can't get that kind of flexibility. If u want that level of control I would suggest using TextureRenderer class directly instead of using it thru the TextRenderer interface. That would give u full Java2D and OpenGL control.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Scaling text using TextRenderer

Qu0ll
Demoscene Passivist wrote
If u want that level of control I would suggest using TextureRenderer class directly instead of using it thru the TextRenderer interface. That would give u full Java2D and OpenGL control.
Thanks D.P., I'll have a look into your suggestion.