TextRenderer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TextRenderer

Jason Moore
Hey Sven, long time no hear.  This is Jason Moore from Rome, NY.  I lost your email address during my transition to my new computer and I wanted to commit something into the jogamp baseline.  My team re-wrote the TextRenderer to all use of just the OpenGL 3 Core profile and we made some modest speed improvements.  Basically if you know that youy are using a GL3 Core profile exclusively you can skip our compatibility wrapper that checks which version, but the API interface stays the same regardless.  Let me know the way forward, email me directly to my home account,m hopefully you still have it.

Glad to see things are still moving forward with this stuff!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TextRenderer

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On Friday, December 03, 2010 15:38:00 Jason Moore [via jogamp] wrote:
>
> Hey Sven, long time no hear.  This is Jason Moore from Rome, NY.  I lost your email address during my transition to my new computer
Hi Jason, good to hear from you again, indeed.

> and I wanted to commit something into the jogamp baseline.  
Great, thank you.

> My team re-wrote the TextRenderer to all use of just the OpenGL 3 Core profile and we made some modest speed improvements.  Basically if you know that youy are using a GL3 Core profile exclusively you can skip our compatibility wrapper that checks which version, but the API interface stays the same regardless.  

Sound very good.

> Let me know the way forward, email me directly to my home account,m hopefully you still have it.

Sure, will do.

>
> Glad to see things are still moving forward with this stuff!

And glad you and your team are still with JOGL.

Yup, working on rc2 .. sweat sweat :)
After a bit more polishing and bug fixing I hope the stable version will be out soon.

In the meantime, I may point you to our new documention stuff:

http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Maintainer_and_Contacts
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Contribute
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Jogamp_Versioning_and_Releases
http://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php/Jogl_FAQ#Bugreports_.26_Testing

You know .. the usual red tape stuff :)
Hope I don't scare too much people away with all this little requirements,
however, I think it's most important to realize reliable software
for all of us.

Laters & Cheers, Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jason Moore
Hi!

Jason Moore wrote
My team re-wrote the TextRenderer to all use of just the OpenGL 3 Core profile and we made some modest speed improvements.  
It is a good piece of news, I have just made some memory improvements, I have to clean what I did and it will be committed in a few days.

Jason Moore wrote
Basically if you know that youy are using a GL3 Core profile exclusively you can skip our compatibility wrapper that checks which version, but the API interface stays the same regardless.
I need to support OpenGL 1.2. Therefore, I am opposed to skipping the compatibility wrapper. In my humble opinion, JOGL should support the lowest possible OpenGL version and not force people to have modern hardware.

Thank you very much for contributing :)
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:19:15 gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> My team re-wrote the TextRenderer to all use of just the OpenGL 3 Core profile and we made some modest speed improvements.  
> It is a good piece of news, I have just made some memory improvements, I have to clean what I did and it will be committed in a few days.
Dear Julien, please use quotes, thanks you.

>
> Basically if you know that youy are using a GL3 Core profile exclusively you can skip our compatibility wrapper that checks which version, but the API interface stays the same regardless.
> I need to support OpenGL 1.2. Therefore, I am opposed to skipping the compatibility wrapper. In my humble opinion, JOGL should support the lowest possible OpenGL version and not force people to have modern hardware.

This is what Jason says AFAIK, hence you are able to skip the compatibility wrapper as an option.
As far as I interpret his message, they have a pluggable solution, one for the GL2 compatibility
and one for >= GL3.

~Sven